Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Please help, Very Scared
Nov 26, 2010

Dear Dr. Bob, I dated someone for months. 5 times the sex was unprotected. The last time was Jun.7, 2010. I tested with Clearview 1/2 at 3 months, at 3 days short of 24 weeks I used Home Access. Both came back negative. Before this I have had some partners in my life and sometimes unprotected. I never tested before this. How conclusive are my results? I guess, I'm wondering, though rare, but possible, if there was a dual strain would it show up on these tests. Should I wait for 26 weeks to Home Access again? I have soreness in my thighs and forearms, and just 'know', despite negative results that I am positive. Thank you so much if you can answer my question.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

Despite negative HIV tests out to 24 weeks, you "just know" that you are HIV positive??? Here we go again! Dude, as Dr. Spock would say, "that's just not logical captain!" Your negative HIV tests out to "3 days short of 24 weeks" are definitive and convulsive. HIV is not your problem. No way. No how. No additional HIV tests are recommended or warranted. Whatever is causing your sore arms and legs, one thing is absolutely certain: it's not HIV!

Please review the chapter in the archives entitled "I'm Positive I'm Positive." It's filled with testimonials from folks who, just like you, were/are convinced they are positively charged despite irrefutable and overwhelming evidence to the contrary. Care to guess how many of these fluffernutters actually turned out to be HIV infected? Exactly zero! Yep, that's right: zero, zip, zilch, nada, not a one!

If you remain scared and continue having trouble accepting the truly wonderful news of your HIV-negative status, I'd suggest you seek counseling (psychotherapy).

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Happy Thanksgiving Dr. Bob - Please don't throw me in with the Turkeys !!
Next
Scared about acquiring HIV from prostitute

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.