PN

Hi dr. Bob.

I had some antibody tests done at 6 weeks, three months, four months and six and a half month for hiv. The first two were combined tests (P24-antibody).

After ten months from my risky exposure i have a daily pain in my lower left leg. I fear it is neuropathy. my questions ? Is neuropathy always in both legs, feet , toes? I only have pain in my lower leg.

I'm very scared. I would appreciate you answered this one! Thank you a lot! Koen

Hello Koen,

Your repeatedly negative HIV tests out to 6.5 months are definitive, conclusive and WOO-HOO-able.

HIV distal sensory peripheral neuropathy (PN) generally begins at the toes on both feet simultaneously and then moves progressively up the feet. You can read much more about PN in the archives; however, since your HIV-antibody tests are conclusively, you should rest assured that HIV is not the cause of your symptoms.

Very worried! Is this risky?
is it possible to have a baby without infecting my partner? (PrEP, 2010)