The Return of the Stupid Freaking Idiot!

Hi Doc!

I hope you remember me from the question you were kind enough to answer for me back in July. I just wanted to follow-up and let you know 96 day test came back negative/non-reactive (can I get a woo-hoo?!). Id like to thank you for responding to me and encouraging me in that time as well. What I'd really like to thank you for though, is, having read through so many of your archives, and seeing so many people with irrational fear taking over there lives, and you encouraging so many of them to seek psychiatric help, made me realize how much unnecessarry and paralyzing worry I dealt with, everything from HIV fears to being attacked. As a combat veteran (OIF and OEF), I knew my mental state was probably a bit warped. Long story short, you inspired me to visit a therapist and I'm now on a therapy regimen supplemented with low-dosage SSRI's for mild OCD and PTSD. So thank you for that. Oh, and the girlfriend and I are fine and happy. Thank you SO MUCH for everything you do Doc. I appreciate you!

Regards

The (former) Stupid Freaking Idiot

Hello Former "SFI,"

Welcome back to the forum and thanks for your thanks and your very kind comments. I am delighted to learn of your progress with psychotherapy and treatment of OCD and PTSD. As for your negative 96-day HIV-antibody test, I have one word for you: "WOO-de-frickin'-HOO!

Welcome to our X-files (ex-worried wells).

Be well. Stay well.

Stupid Freaking Idiot Is In Desperate Need Of An Answer Jul 20, 2010

Hello Doctor

Right now I am completely terrified and freaking out to the point of hyperventilating. I am a straight man who does not do drugs of any kind, and is generally not at all promiscuous (I can count my total partners on both hands, and don't need all my fingers)). I have never had any STD, and had no open sores or cuts on my penis that I was aware of at the time this took place. 3 weeks ago, after having a few too many, I went home with a girl who I would classify as an acquaintance. Alcohol momentarily shut off the brain, and I MAY have penetrated her barely, though definitely not all the way in. After maybe 5 or 6 seconds, my brain turned back on and I extricated myself from the situation (no pun intended). Approximately 4-5 days later, I caught a very minor sore throat, no other symptoms. My girlfriend and I had one instance of unprotected sex later that week, (I did not ejaculate) and now 2 weeks later, she has a sore throat and swollen lymph nodes, no fever, nausea, or any other ARS symptoms) She went to the doctor and strep throat and mono tests came back negative. In addition, I have started having random numbness in my feet. Right now I am terrified I am infected and even worse, that I have infected my new girlfriend over a five second screw up! What are the odds that I/We are infected?? I know I need to probably be tested, but it's too soon for a conclusive test isn't it? Please answer, and I will be HAPPY to make a $150.00 donation. PLEASE!

Thank You

Stupid Freaking Idiot

Hi SFI (Stupid Freaking Idiot),

Relax Max! The HIV-acquisition risk for five seconds of possible (but not for sure) unprotected partial vaginal penetration is exceedingly low. The chance you subsequently transmitted HIV to your girlfriend with a single episode of unprotected sex without ejaculation resulting in her current symptoms is a quantum leap beyond remote.

My advice is that you level with your girlfriend. It's not only the best way to confront your guilt; it's also the right thing to do. (If the situation were reversed, wouldn't you want to know?) You should then use protection (latex condoms) at least until you can reconfirm your HIV-negative status at the three-month mark (from the date of potential exposure). HIV-antibody tests taken prior to the three-month mark are not considered to be definitive or conclusive.

Thank you for your generous gift to The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). It's warmly appreciated and urgently needed. In return I'm sending you my good-luck/good-health karma that you are now and will always be HIV free.

Good luck! Be well!

Anal sex with a positive bottom
Hello my friend!