Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

I know you have many questions....but PLEASE answer this
Nov 15, 2010

Hi Dr Bob,

Sorry for bothering you with my question, but I am kind of anxious and little bit worried about my situation..I had for about 5 weeks a friend who came to stay with me for visiting, a day before he left I found a couple of pills like Norvir inside his bag when I was helping him to pack his stuff. I found out he is HIV+ I knew he was gay for a long time but never about the virus. I was in shock because during his stay we share bathrooms, plates, glasses, even we share coulple of drinks, and he played a lot with my little one who is 2 years old with eczema problems. I know and I don't want to sound paranoic about it, HIV with casual contact is nonexistent however, I left my boy with him for babysitting 2 o 3 times for about 2 hours each which he did diaper change and feeding. I felt also bad because he didn't tell me about his condition before in order to take some extra prevention at home, I was very dissapointed for that. Additionaly to that situation I am pregnant. No sexual contact at all with him. My husband is aware of this situation. Do you think it is Ok to do and HIV test or do you think is totally unnecessary?

Please let me know where I can donate to your foundation. I love your website and the way how you take time to help others!

Thanks a lot. Hope you can answer my question.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

You are absolutely correct: HIV is not transmitted by casual contact, such as sharing bathrooms, plates, glasses or drinks or even changing diapers. Your worries are indeed "paranoiac" and unwarranted. Neither worry nor HIV testing is recommended or warranted.

Donation information for The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation can be found on the foundation's Web site at www.concertedeffort.org. Thanks for your support!

Be well!

Dr. Bob

Previous
Famous Last Words
Next
HIV-2 and maybe other rare strains

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.