Famous Last Words

Hi Dr. Bob,

I sent a message to you last night indicating that I did not have a question and was just looking for some words of encouragement following a sexual assault. I mentioned that I am on Truvada, and almost immediately after sending my non-question to you I fell asleep without taking my pill. When I woke up this morning, I immediately remembered, and in a still-drowsy panic took a pill. Only then did I realize that I should have looked at the prescription info to see what to do in this situation, and after I did, I became quite confused.

I have been taking my pills at around 10 pm. In this instance, when I remembered, I took the missed pill at 7:40 am. The instructions say to take the pill when you remember but also not to take 2 pills in one day. So it seems that I should not take another pill tonight, and get back to my routine tomorrow night, but the thought of not taking a pill for 36+ hours makes me very wary.

I've also posted this question in the "Choosing Your Meds" forum and called the doctor's office that prescribed the Truvada but have not heard anything back yet.

H

Hello H,

Different HIV specialists may handle this type of situation differently, particularly because you are only on Truvada. Most would suggest you now continue with morning dosing of your Truvada, since you took your last pill at 7:40 AM. It doesn't have to be exactly at 7:40 AM every morning going forward. You could take it at whatever time is convenient for you in the morning (8 AM, 9 AM, etc).

Hope that helps.

A huge thank you (and a "woo hoo!")
I know you have many questions....but PLEASE answer this