PEP started & stopped & resumed

After a night of drinking and lowered judgment, I had unprotected anal sex as the insertive top with a total stranger. Of course, I don't know the other guy's HIV status. A doctor buddy gave me Combivir at MY request, although the doc didn't think a PEP regimen was necessarily warranted in my case. I started taking Combivir 30 hours after my sexual encounter, took it for 2 days, then stopped on the third day because of the side effects, then resumed again on day 4 (as I write this). Did I just totally botch up the PEP regimen by stopping and resuming, and does it make sense for me to stay on? For background, I'm GWM, 40 y.o. in a medium-sized midwest city, and had a one-time genital herpes outbreak 6 years ago. After a year of being on Valtrex, I have not had any visible outbreaks since then. BTW, this site & your advice are invaluable...

No you didn't totally botch up your PEP regimen, but I don't think your doctor buddy did you any favors by prescribing PEP if he didn't feel it was warranted and if he didn't arrange for you to have follow-up with an HIV specialist while on the 28-day course.

My advice is that you seek out an HIV specialist. He will review your HIV-acquisition risk history in great detail and then advise whether you should continue treatment. You can read much more about PEP in the archives of this forum. Have a look.

Broken Condom
A huge thank you (and a "woo hoo!")