Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Causes of False Negative HIV Antibody Test
Nov 15, 2010

Hi Dr. Bob,

Before anything else, I just want to thank you for your awesome job in this website. You truly are a good man.

Anyway, I just want to clarify something. Last November 11, I had my one year mark HIV test which thankfully turned out non reactive. However, I just have a concern. For my HIV test, I availed of a well-known clinic's home blood extraction service. A medical technician went to my house in order to extract a blood sample from my arm. Everything she did seemed legit and all but I noticed that after extracting my blood, she just put the "capsule" of my blood sample in a pouch and not in a cooler? Could that have killed the antibodies and affected the result of my test? Thanks a lot in advance for your answer.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

You really can't kill antibodies, because they were never alive. Antibodies are proteins made by the body's immune system in response to a particular stimulus such as HIV. These proteins circulate freely in the blood. There is no need to refrigerate an HIV-antibody blood test. So relax Max, your results were not at all compromised.

Dr. Bob

Previous
can anal sex without bleeding can cause hiv (RISK OF HIV AS A TOP, 2010) (ANAL MUCOUS, ANAL FLUIDS, RECTAL SECRETIONS, 2010)
Next
this is not a question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.