Scary encounter, please put me at rest.

Hi Doctor,

Please can you help me? I have been stressing for the last day or so now and is driving me nuts! I am panicking more and more when I think about what happened with a thousand scenarios running through my head all at the same time! I'm going to die early like this!

You'll probably think this is so stupid but plz plz plz help with your opinion.

I met a girl in a bar last night, we got close in the following way:

-I put my hand inside her tights and felt her bum (just the cheek) -I felt her vagina but through the tights and not inside, only briefly (no fingering) -There was no kissing but I did rub my cheek on her face -There was no other sexual contact -We both remained fully dressed -My penis remained in my boxers at all times and she did not touch it

Later, she offered sex but I refused as I did not know her, after she left, some of the guys in the bar came up to me and revealed that she was a local hooker and was HIV positive. From then on, my heart has sank, I feel a massive weight on my shoulders and feel so scared! I know that I cannot get HIV easily from the encounter as there was no sexual contact but am weary of her breathing on my face and me ingesting her breath. Thinking back, she did seem to be very drunk or on some kind of drugs, she also looked massively skinny. I've showered so many times since last night as I keep on thinking about whether how many men she may have had last night before meeting me. Should I disinfect all the stuff I have touched in house? pls pls pls help....I'm so scared. I phoned a helpline today and they seemed to think that I have nothing to worry about and should not visit a clinic. I have read your forums and found them very useful and really want to gain your opinion, should I go for a test in a month's time? Please put me at rest even though I probably know it's nothing!

Please do reply, also, please could you point me to the donation area on the website, I have found your website so useful and have learnt so much about HIV that I did not know previously. You're doing a great job!

Thanks

Neil

Hello Neil,

I absolutely agree with the assessment and advice you received on the AIDS helpline: no risk, no need for HIV testing and no need to visit a doctor/clinic.

HIV cannot be transmitted "ingesting the breath" of a virally enhanced hooker. Frevinsakes! If HIV were that easily transmitted, it would have wiped out the planet long ago.

Should you disinfect everything you've touched in the house? No, of course not, silly boy! What you really need to do is become better educated about HIV and HIV transmission. I strongly suggest you avail yourself of the wealth of information on this Web site, in its archives, and on its related links. Pay particular attention to exactly how HIV is and is not transmitted. I'm confident you'll find the information equally enlightening and reassuring. Now get out of the shower before you turn more wrinkled than the "massively skinny" hooker you nearly snogged and start doing your HIV homework! You've got a lot to learn and the information just might save your life someday. By the way, isn't "massively skinny" a bit of an oxymoron?

Donation information for The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation can be found on the foundation's Web site, www.concertedeffort.org. Thanks for your support!

Play safe to stay safe, OK?

How much at risk am I?
Shall i take suppliments???