Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Can HIV be transmitted from body fluids (including blood) splash
Nov 10, 2010

Hello. I am a nurse in the CV-ICU (cardiovascular ICU) and a few days ago we had an HIV positive patient who underwent CABG. CABG is quite bloody and the patient had chest tubes attached to him. I was in charge of another patient in the unit but then I learned that the nurse who was in charge of the said patient who is HIV + was discarding the urine along with the blood drained from the chest tubes to the toilet bowl where I urinated. I became really paranoid about this since I am married and I have a baby.

Just a bit of a background, when I urinated there was no visible blood inside the toilet however I am not 100% sure about that. And when I confronted the said nurse she said that she double flushed the toilet.

My questions are: am I at risk of contracting HIV because of the said incident? Do I have to get tested (please specify the said tests)? And if so, when? Do I need prophylaxis? Thanks so much and more power.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Your HIV-acquisition risk is nonexistent. Neither worry nor HIV testing is warranted.

Dr. Bob

Previous
NOTHING BUT THE CONDOM RIM....
Next
Just a Thank You!( Re:Would You Ever Consider Shutting Down This Forum?)

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.