Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Question about brief insertive exposure
Nov 10, 2010

Hello Doctor,

I've been coming to this site for a couple of years now and I have always appreciated the your warmth and deep well of knowledge. I am 25, circumcised and STD free. 10 days ago, I hooked up with a buddy I've known for about 8 months. There was some brief oral sex (he sucked me off), followed by some bumping and grinding with some lube. I noticed my buddy tried to slide my bare dick inside his ass (1st red flag), but I immediately stopped him and asked him for a condom. He said he didn't have one (2nd red flag), so we continued bumping and grinding. After some more bumping and grinding, he slid my dick inside of him again, but I pulled it out almost immediately. Panicked at my screw-up, I ended the encounter. He told me he was HIV negative, but his credibility is kinda shot, being that he was willing to have unprotected anal sex with me, a relative stranger.

I've been a bit concerned since that time and I visited this site for answers. My fears were initially diminished somewhat, but I've noticed that I'm feeling a little off. This feeling started 9 days after the exposure. I don't have a fever, headache, sore throat or any overt symptoms. I just feel a tad weak and tired. Being that I just started a rather extreme low calorie diet a week ago, I'm thinking that might be the culprit. Nonetheless, this slightly-off feeling, coupled with the exposure, has me quite on edge. I know that at this point, an HIV test at 3 and 6 months is in order. However, I'm scared to death that I have HIV and I'm having a hard time not worrying. Is there any aspect of my situation that is encouraging?

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

Unprotected insertive oral sex carries only a very slight risk for HIV transmission/acquisition. Unprotected insertive anal is much riskier, but your exposure, assuming your partner was HIV infected, was extremely brief. Consequently your overall HIV-acquisition risk remains quite low, but not completely nonexistent. Your "symptoms" are not worrisome for HIV acute retroviral syndrome (ARS); however, an HIV-antibody test at the three-month mark is still warranted.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Possible exposure. Is it too late for PEP?
Next
would i still test positive?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.