Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Female Park Ranger + $50 donation
Nov 9, 2010

Hello doctor! I am a female park ranger and the other day one of my co-workers (another female park ranger) had an incident at the park where she said a homeless man vomited on her. She went to use the restroom to clean up and when she came out, not even thinking about it, I went in to wash my hands. Now I worry if she had the homeless mans vomit on her hands then used the same sink I did, could I contract HIV from touching the same sink lever thing that you push up and down to have the water come out? I ask because I have 2 fingers with cuts on them, one is a cut from biting the skin from my nail (1 hour before I USED THE SINK I BLED) and then the other cut is from the same thing (biting the skin and it's puffy and did bleed before as well. I had a band-aid on, but the band-aid was starting to peel off a bit, but it was primarily covering the cuts I suppose, just not that great. I'm not even sure if she used the same sink, or if she had vomit on her hands but I'm still worried. I don't want to ask her because I'll sound crazy like I do now. Is this just my OCD, or a real risk?

Donation will be sent tomorrow, can I use cashiers check?

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi Female Park Ranger,

Is this just your OCD or do you have a real risk??? It's your OCD; definitely your OCD is OOC (out of control). Neither worry nor HIV testing is warranted. Please note even if the hapless homeless dude "Upchucking Chucky" barfed directly on you and your various hand/skin ailments the HIV risk would still be nonexistent. Vomitus that does not contain visible blood is not considered a risk for HIV transmission.

Thanks for your support of The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). It's very much appreciated. Yes, the foundation gratefully accepts cashier's checks.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Which test to get?
Next
Please Dr Bob please answer my question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.