Which test to get?

Hi Dr. Bob,

I made the biggest mistake of my life in June this year when I had protected Vaginal and Oral sex from a African sex worker whilst being under the heavy influence of alcohol. Even being really, really drunk I distinctly remember staring at the condom the whole time which did not fail and my tongue touched her vagina for all of two seconds at the most because thankfully the taste of rubber sent my tongue flying back into my mouth.

I know you would say my risk of HIV is essentially nonexistent but I'm still worried to death and I just cant put it behind me, I cant sleep, I cant concentrate at work the only comfort I get is from this great site. So since its nearly six months I'm going to grow some balls and get tested in a couple of weeks so I can move on with my life and not have to shy away from girls because I'm afraid I might pass something on.

Now my actual question is would it be ok for me to get tested online by sending away for a saliva home testing kit or would it be best to go to a clinic and get a blood test? The only reason I ask is because I've read that the home saliva test kits can be unreliable and the blood test gives clearer results.

Please answer my question it would be greatly appreciated I think you are a wonderful human being for all the help you give to others and of course I would love to send a donation please.

I would advise you choose the blood test at the clinic. I agree your HIV-acquisition risk is negligible at best.

Thank you for your donation to The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). It's warmly appreciated. In return I'm sending my good-luck karma that your definitive HIV-antibody test is negative. I'm quite confident it will be.

From Taliban killing fields, SOS, A UN Aid volunteer pleads
Female Park Ranger + $50 donation