Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

From Taliban killing fields, SOS, A UN Aid volunteer pleads
Nov 9, 2010

Dear Sir, I am a volunteer, serving here in balochistan for the United Nations as a daily wager.Infact I requested a senior official here in our unit to write on my behalf as I am not as proficient in english.Sir, I am in absolute state of anxiety, I am here at your door step, pleading you to help me.Sir, I have witnessed as much blood and gore, over here that indeed its common place to see large numbers of crtically injured persons being wheeled into our clinic here, almost everyday.This morning when I was assisting my surgeon during a suturing proceedure, I was quite meticulously handing over the instruments. I was wearing gloves myself, and initially handed over local anaesthetic loaded in 10 cc syringe, and later a Lumbar puncture needle, as it was required for a certain step.I absolutely remember that I did not incur a needle prick, but later, when I took off my gloves, I was stunned to see a small area of bleed on the knuckle region of my right hand, it was associated with itching. Dear Sir, I cannot quite tell you how panic stricken I have become since that incident. Sir, I enquired with my surgeon if I did get pricked during the procedure , and he said as far as he could remember I did not get pricked.On the other hand, I do not quite know the HIV status of the patient. Sir I have come to your door for help.Please assess my situation.The fact that I should have realised if I had been indeed pricked with either the disposable 10 cc needle, or the lumbar puncture needle helps me think if the bleed was not due to prick, but I cannot find solace in that. I constantly am being struck with thoughts of HIV, I am indeed crying Dear Sir. Please help me , analyse my situation and tell me if indeed PEP is required. Please send me your best karma, as I have heard it is like god sent...

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

It seems highly unlikely you were pricked during the procedure without knowing it. PEP is not warranted. If you remain concerned, get a single HIV-antibody test at the three-month mark.

Good-luck karma sent not only that you are now and will always be HIV free, but also that you remain safe in that treacherous, tragic and dangerous part of the world.

Good luck. Be well. Stay well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
PEP Underdosage
Next
Which test to get?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.