THANK YOU- SHOULD I STOP TAKING PEP, HELP ME SCARED STUDENT

follow up: 2 hours after i posted the question, i asked him to get tested anyway with the 4th gen Abbott. he tested NEGATIVE. he agreed to get tested 3 times.

My worries are quelled and i will stop the pep, i hope i can post here in 6 weeks(ive only been on PEP for 3 days) a negative wohoo. But i need your help for that, please send me your karma. please i need your negative wohoo karma which i have read so much about.

One last question, he put his fingers inside me before the penetration, what if he had wounds or his own semen on his fingers, would that not pose a risk for hiv transmission.

Thanks again

I agree with stopping PEP. As for fingering, this is not considered an HIV risk, assuming the skin on the fingering fingers was intact.

I'm confident there will be a WOO-HOO in your future!

SHOULD I STOP TAKING PEP, HELP ME SCARED STUDENT Nov 5, 2010

Doc Bob

I would first of all like to say what a hero you are and how your words of wisdom have helped many people all over the world, and i am hoping it will help me as well.

Here's the situation: Yesterday 2 November 2010, i had receptive anal sex with a guy i had been seeing for like a week, it was protected and according to my knowledge the condom didn't break or slip, as i saw the sperm afterward's, nor did he say it was unprotected, he said he took it out and it was fine, it didn't slip of fail. We used KY gel as lube. He also gave me a BJ unprotected, we are both university students. Afterwards i got scared, and told him to tell me his sexual history and testing history, he told me he slept with another guy 3 weeks ago and he used protection as the top partner.He also said he got tested 2 months ago and it was negative,before that he hadn't had sex for a year.

But i freaked out and told him we had to get tested now, so we went to the campus clinic and we got a rapid test. BOth negative. He didnt even freak out when i told him to get tested, he went freely, an hour after we had sex, we were tested. That put me at ease, that he wasnt even afraid to get tested.

BUt i was still paranoid, i went to see my doctor, and she said i should take pep, because he could have gotten hiv through his last encounter 3 weeks ago and that the rapid test taken on the day of sex wasn't conclusive. And thus i started PEP yesterday( no bad symptoms yet but i am tired). I started combivir, I also have built immunity to hep B.

The doctor advised me to let him do a 4th generation test which combines an elisa and a p24, so if that was negative i could stop PEP.

So i called him again and told him the story, he was like "dude, u are so paranoid, but i will do it, lets go" wow, he agreed to get tested twice, which guy will do that really, which guy.

Ok, i know this feels like some harry potter novel, but pls bear with me. So we go to the lab together(today, November 3) and we tell the story, the woman at the lab says, their is no need to get the test as the window period is still the same and the rapid test is just as accurate as the elisa and a negative test on the 2 nov will not turn positive on the 3rd nov.

So we dnt do the test, he tells me am paranoid and i should relax, we go back to his place and fool around, he gives me an unprotected blow job again and then drops me back at my place. No anal sex.

And now that i am at my place, i am getting nervous again, I have a few questions: 1. Can hiv get through a condom that doesnt fail? ever 2. I know a bj carries minimal risk, but does it warrant PEP 3. Who was right, my doctor or the woman testing at the lab who said a neg test yesterday wnt turn positive 2day. 4. After all he has said and done agreeing to get 2 hiv tests, driving there, cause he has a car and i dnt, using his petrol and money to get this test, can I believe him when he says he is 99.9999% sure he doesnt have hiv. 5. Should i stop PEP? I wont stop till you tell me to stop. 6. Am i just a crazy paranoid freak? or am i right to protect myself and not trust anything any1 says. 7. Can i take combivir even though i have hepB, I have built immunity though.

I am 21 and he is 23, he was the second guy i slept with, i was the 6th he'd slept with.

Thanks doc, u are a star and may you continue to help those in distress for many years to come.

PS: What i am really afraid of is that,if he got hiv from his random sex with that guy 3 weeks ago,the virus will be producing rapidly now and can spread easily during this window period.

Thanx again DOC

1. HIV cannot permeate intact latex. No way. No how.

2. Nope! Your doctor shouldn't have prescribed it.

3. The woman at the lab! This makes strike two for your doctor!

4. I certainly would!

5. Yes.

6. Both. You have every right to protect yourself and you really should not trust anyone's word that he is HIV negative. You are also a crazy paranoid freak. These are not mutually exclusive conditions.

7. You don't have active hepatitis B. You have evidence of immunity to hepatitis B. Yes, you could take Combivir if it were warranted, but it is not.

I would suggest you consider finding a more competent doctor. The one you have already has two strikes against her and most things come in threes. So who knows what mistake she'll make next!

You're welcome.

HIV, allergies and other possible indicators of infection
Ambush