Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

condom break
Nov 5, 2010

i had an ordeal with a siberian CSW,, she looked pretty healthy, very clean and hygenic. she gave me unprotected oral sex for about 30 seconds and then slipped on a condom and we had vaginal sex,,a while after i felt like something was different and pulled out 10 seconds later to see the broken condom,,, i put on a new one,, continued on,, when i was done, i very calmly and casually asked her if she was clean to which she responded "yes, i get tested once a month and im very careful". only the next day did i start to worry. its been seven days now and i'm very worried, she said she was very careful, although giving me unprotected oral doesn't seem like what a careful woman would do, maybe she's lying altogether or maybe she caught something between our incident and the last test, whatever. what i wanna ask is, assuming she's HIV+ is it possible to get HIV from 10 seconds unprotected vaginal sex ??? i'm waiting for the 4 week mark to get an HIV combi (AG/AB) test,, though i'd still like to hear an experts point of view, would you be worried if you were in my shoes?

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

If I were in your shoes??? Hmm. Somehow I just can't even picture myself having vaginal sex with a Siberian sex worker. Sorry. Next question.

Regarding your question, broken-condom sex carries an HIV-transmission/acquisition risk that is the same as that of unprotected sex. Your exposure was very brief (10 seconds), which would decrease, but not completely eliminate, the transmission risk.

My advice is that you get an HIV-antibody test at the three-month mark, as HIV-antibody tests taken before the three-month mark are not considered to be definitive.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
2 days Later I'm now losing my mind, my fanily, and turned myself into an Official Dr. Bob Flutternut !!
Next
Is it possible to get HIV like this?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.