The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Options if emergency PEP is needed...

Nov 5, 2010

Hi Dr. Bob! Thanks to your words on this forum 5 years ago, I have been in an amazing "magnetic" relationship for 4 years. Neither of us would have been brave enough to even give it a go without reading about your relationship. Our sex life is great, and we've never had any sort of "whoops!" moments or unsafe sex. I was on a Truvada/Reyataz/Norvir regimen until a couple months ago, when my Dr. switched me to Epzicom instead of Truvada due to concerns with bone issues. I had to be tested for sensitivity to Epzicom prior to the switch, and I was cleared. My lover and I always assumed that if we ever did have an accidental unsafe moment, he would simply start taking my same regimen until we could get to a Dr. Now that I'm on Epzicom I'm afraid he might have a bad reaction.

Should he get tested for Epzicom sensitivity? Should we keep some other drug on hand for any accidents?

I've searched the archives, but can't find an answer to this question.

Bless you Dr. Bob, and thank you for all the help you've given us - even if you never knew you did! XO

Response from Dr. Frascino


Thanks for your kind comments. I would suggest you ask your HIV specialist for a PEP starter pack to have on hand "for any kind of whoops moments." I wouldn't select Epzicom as a PEP regimen of choice for a variety of reasons.

Be well guys!

Dr. Bob

Can you be HIV positive for 28 years with no symptoms?
broken skin (HUMAN BITE 2010)

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint