The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Potential Exposure and Course of Action

Nov 5, 2010

H I am a gay male and against my usual better judgement i had sex with someone i met one night. I was using a condom but it broke - and with introspection i think i might have been in him for maybe 10 seconds after it broke. I then asked the question that I should ahve asked before. His response was literarily "he didnt know, maybe - sicne he came up inconclusive at his last test" I assumed that to mean he was probably positive and 3 hours later (when my PCP was open) i went and got baeline tested for HIV and other STDS (all came back negative). My doctor also took a test i think to check tcells or something like that that could be an indicator and he said the levels were fine. I was then put on a PEP (Truvada) at about 8hours from time of exposure. I think i have done everything i can at this point but is there some test i can take that could at least give me just a cautious sense of relief.

Response from Dr. Frascino


Unfortunately no. The guidelines for HIV evaluation following an exposure significant enough to warrant a course of PEP recommend HIV-antibody testing at baseline, four to six weeks, three months and six months to definitively conclude transmission did not occur. You can read more about PEP and HIV diagnostic testing in the archives of this forum.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Follow-up: I'm sorry doc but I know whats going on with my body, you dont !!
Should my son be worried?

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint