Reply to: a bugging question

Hi Dr Bob,

Please accept my apologies for such a callous and unbecoming statement. I ask without any malice. I respect you and the productive life you continue to live in which you display genuine care and concern for humanity as manifested on this website. I suffer from HIV phobia and after reading somewhere that when you are severely anxious, that can impair your judgment. You end up not just having a phobia but actually becoming HIV-infected. I know this is unrelated but have you seen or known about cases in which a person who has OCD/phobia actually end up having HIV? My sense is there are people like that in which they worry and worry which then impair their judgement causing them in the end to be HIV-infected. I think I seem to be falling into this category. Do you agree if you catch what I'm trying to say? Thanks again -Edward

Hi Edward,

Apology accepted.

As for "reading somewhere" that having an HIV phobia actually causes you to be HIV infected, WOWZA! Where the hell did you read that nonsense? Perhaps in the "Journal of Irreproducible Results"??? Come on dude, OCD/phobia is a psychological/psychiatric condition. HIV is a virus!

Edward, it seems that common sense may not be your strong suit.

Maybe beyond your expertise but I doubt it. Please Help!
CONDOM DAMAGED DURING SEX