The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

I am infected wife is not

Nov 3, 2010

My wife is worried sick about her possibilities of having hiv. One week after i was diagnosed she got tested and her test came back negative. Due to crazy work schedule and stress at home we had not had any relations (sexual) for about 2 months prior to me being tested positive. she is scaired that she has been infected and i am wondering what the chances of a false negative are at this point? She is due to be retested in a few months? what is the liklyhood that she is infected. As a sidebar during sex i havent ejaculated inside her in a year or more

thanks for your response

Response from Dr. Frascino


Following a significant HIV exposure, such as unprotected receptive vaginal-penile sex with a partner confirmed to be HIV infected, HIV testing is recommended immediately (as a baseline), at three months and at six months to definitively confirm transmission has not occurred. Your wife will need to be tested out to six months from the date of the last potential exposure (unprotected sex). You will need to use latex condoms for all penetrative sex going forward. You and your wife should read through the information in the chapter in the archives devoted to magnetic couples.

Good luck to you both.

Dr. Bob

Pubic lice and HIV transmission
Maybe beyond your expertise but I doubt it. Please Help!

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint