Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Finally Took The Test Thanks To You Dr. Bob!
Nov 2, 2010

Dr. Bob,

This isnt a question, just a humble thank you so Thank you, a million times over! I hope someday the Lord will show you how many lives youve touched. I am a heterosexual male in his late 20s who has lived in fear of HIV for several years now. Ive self-diagnosed all of my own symptoms, read entirely too deeply into signs etc., etc. I had several episodes with illicit drug use years back, as well as plenty of unprotected sex. My life changed about 5 years ago when I sobered up and started trying to live my life correctly. There was always one nagging fear, HIV and other STDs.

While I would sit and worry day in and day out, I could never muster up the courage to get checked. Eventually I got over my fear, without ever getting tested. About a year and a half ago, however, I met her. Knowing full well that I wanted to spend my life with her, and also knowing that shed never had sex, my fears of HIV resurfaced. Day in and day out I was again Googling symptoms, paying close attention to my night sweats, etc. and knowing that I was positive. I never brought any of this information to light with her, as we are waiting for marriage. 1 month ago I proposed to her, she said yes, but I knew that I couldnt move forward without knowing once and for all if I had HIV.

I have had plenty of high risk heterosexual situations, as well as plenty of needle use in my past, and I resumed searching the internet high and low for an answer that wouldnt result in me actually having to get a test. I stumbled upon thebody.com and started reading your forums. Because of the information on this website, and your columns in particular, I finally acquired the courage necessary to go and get the test one week ago today. I literally just hung up the phone with the doctors office a few minutes ago with the results HIV Negative!! Whoo Hoo! The results, as you would say, are definitive and conclusive! It has been almost two years since my last sexual encounter, and over 7 years since my last use of a needle. HIV is not my problem, no way, no how! I dont know if Id have ever had the courage to get checked if it werent for you and this website. Im a long ways away from California, and while our paths may never actually cross, you have made a huge impact on my life. Thank you again for all that you do, and my donation is on the way.

Another Positive Im Positive Fluffernutter Proven Wrong By Actually Taking The Test.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Another I'm Positive I'm Positive Fluffernutter Proven Wrong By Actually Taking The Test,

BRAVO! WOO-de-fricken-HOO! You are now officially an ex-fluffernutter and full-fledged member of our X-files (ex-worried-wells). I'm very hopeful your testimonial will encourage other ex-fluffernutters-in-waiting to man-up (or woman-up) and take the test!

Thanks for taking the time to write in and share your story and also for your tax-deductible donation to The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). Both are warmly appreciated. I'm sending you and your bride-to-be my good-luck/good-health karma for a healthy, "happily-ever-after" life together filled with wonderment, peace and boundless joy.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Twas the night before mid-term elections and all through the house...
Next
HIV Risk - Living in a land where HIV is Taboo

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.