I Cannot Thank You Enough Dr. Bob For your Help and Quick Response - One More Question If I may?

Dr. Bob,

I am the woman that told you about my son being OCD along with a few other things. I am now going to seek therapy for him for HIV fears. They just do not educate them in schools the way you and I were taught. Never the less, I showed him your answer and it snapped him right out of his condition. I do not know how to Thank You enough so I am going to make some quarterly donations to your Foundation.

I have one more question though. A friend of ours drops off our mail for us at our door. He had put the mail in a plastic bag. Like what you get from a store and hung it on our door knob. I put it in the house and forgot about it for a day. After about, lets make it safe and say 10 hours - so - overnight. My son did not know what was in the bag. So in the morning he went through the bag and went through the mail. There was a letter in there from our Insurance Company and on the back of the envelope there was what look like a big yellowish stain and quite a long streak of red. Immediately my Son had an attack. Let's make this simple. If the stains that he saw - There were stains and a red streak - If what he saw was indeed any fluids that did contained the HIV+ virus and he had touched the envelope all over the stains and the red mark and streak. If that had anything to do with HIV+ virus, what are the chances of getting the HIV virus from this stained and red-uped envelope after it sat overnight in a plastic bag? He is very worried because he has an exposed cut on his thumb that touched the stains both the yellow and red along with everything else on the envelope. He was all over the mail touching it with no bandages. Again, what are his chances of getting HIV from this?

I am very Grateful for your help as right now you and your answers are the only thing my boy can trust and brings him back to reality. And now again he is deeply depressed and scared. He says because he touched everything without having his cut bandaged. What a waste of a good life he can have. Maybe because of your Greatness and because you are a Wonderful Doctor you help him a lot.

I thank you from the bottom of my heart. You are truly a Kind and Compassionate Man.

Respectfully, Gabriel

Hello Gabriel,

Once again these fears are totally irrational and completely unwarranted. The HIV-acquisition risk from the red-stained mail is absolutely nonexistent. You can't catch HIV through the mail (unless you have unsafe sex with an HIV-infected mail delivery guy!).

I agree your son needs psychological/psychiatric help to address his irrational fears and HIV phobia. I would also encourage you to review the wealth of informant on this site, in its archives and on the related links, paying particular attention to exactly how HIV is and is not transmitted. This will help you help your son when his OCD flairs OOC (out of control).

Thank you for your willingness to make quarterly donations to The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). Your compassion and generosity are warmly appreciated and your gifts will touch many lives in desperate need. It will also help promote HIV/AIDS awareness, education and prevention so that people like your son will not develop unrealistic and unwarranted fears about the virus.

PLEASE Dr Bob, Help out my son!! This might hit the TOP 5 - but for my sons sake - Please help this mother. Oct 18, 2010

Dr. Bob,

I know this might be way out there but you can actually help (save) my son.

My son has extreme OCD. He bought a Pumpkin Scone from Starbucks. As he was eating it he said he hit something a little hard. He didn't spit it out he just swallowed it. Now he is in DEEP Depression. I don't know what to do other than to contact you. He is now worried that there might of been something that was on the scone or in the scone that could give him HIV. He told me he waited 10 minutes after he bought it before he ate it. If the server has something on his hand or if it was a scab or if it was anything that had any HIV+ virus on it, from any fluids at all. What are his chances of catching HIV from this experience? My son has very sensative mouth. Always bleeding gums and micro-scopic cuts from brushing too hard. He brushed his teeth when he got up so bought the scone after his brushing. Assuming it was anything that did contain the HIV virus on it and he waited 10 minutes to eat the scone with his bad mouth. What are his chances to catching the HIV virus like this if indeed there was any HIV+ virus around or in the scone-plus his mouth being in bad shape?

Dr. Bob, I will donate to your foundation and this is tearing up my sons life right now. He is Bi-Polar and this is really messing him up.

Thaank You for your Consideration and hopefully quick response, Gabriel

Hello Gabriel,

The HIV-acquisition risk from ingesting "something a little hard" in a Starbucks pumpkin scone is a quantum leap beyond completely nonexistent! No risk! None! Zip, zero, zilch, nada!

You report your son has "extreme OCD . . . DEEP depression . . . Bi-Polar." That's a nasty trio of psychiatric ailments. If he's not already seeing a psychiatrist (M.D.), he certainly needs one! These conditions are amenable to treatment with medications and counseling. No doubt he needs both.

Thanks for your donation to The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). It's warmly appreciated.

Good luck to you both and your son.

Please help I am worried
WHAT IS FACSTS