|Please help I am worried
Nov 2, 2010
Dr. Bob, I had protected sex with a worker few weeks back. The condom did not break and was a latex condom. I have been feeling very guitly and upset for the last 2 weeks. I have a two year angel daughter and a happy family. I do not wish to die early. When should I do my first HIV/STD test ? Had I read this site before I would have never got my self involved in any such act. I feel terrible and scarred and cannot focus. I also need your good luck karma. Can I send donation as cash via regular US postal mail ?
| Response from Dr. Frascino
Your HIV-acquisition risk is essentially nonexistent, assuming the latex condom was used properly and did not break. HIV cannot permeate intact latex. No way. No how. Your problem is not HIV, but rather guilt and fear of HIV.
Responding to your specific questions:
1. STD screening can be done at any time.
2. HIV-antibody testing should be performed at the three-month mark, as tests taken before three months are not considered to be conclusive.
To help with your guilt, I would suggest you level with your wife. It's not only the most effective way to confront your guilt; it's also the right thing to do. You can use latex condoms with your wife until your negative HIV status is reconfirmed at the three-month mark.
Thank you for your tax-deductible gift to The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). It's warmly appreciated. My good-luck/good-health karma has been signed, sealed and sent! I'm very confident your definitive HIV tests will be negative.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Where Are Genital Herpes Sores Located On Women?
- What Is The Difference Between Genital Herpes And Cold Sores?
- What Happens When You Have Mouth Herpes?
- What Does Herpes On Your Mouth Look Like?
- What Are The Chances Of Getting Herpes Or Warts From A Safe Exposure With A Prostitute?
- What Antibiotics Are Used To Treat Chlamydia?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.