a bugging question

Hi Doc, how are you?

I was at the STD clinic in which I visited the doctor straight after a guy who seemed to be gay and have HIV. Can this doctor be negligent and give me HIV if he was giving me a full physical examination without wearing gloves? Is it theoretically possible?

Regards, Edward

Hello Edward,

". . . A guy who seemed to be gay and have HIV . . ."? Edward, why did you think he was gay? Was he singing Streisand tunes on his way out the door or maybe he was married to Liza Minnelli? Also, how did he seem to have HIV? Did he have a "+" sign tattooed on his forehead? Was he bitching about the price of his antiretrovirals? Edward, please note HIV is not a gay disease; it's a virus. And also, not all gay people are HIV infected!

Regarding your question, no, it is not even remotely theoretically possible to transmit HIV as a consequence of performing a physical examination without wearing gloves! Frevinsakes!

Recently disclosed HIV status...
robert theres medicine for hiv/aids (HOO-IMM , 2010)