Why have you ignored my question?
Nov 2, 2010
I fucked up large when I was young by shooting drugs! I'm 26 now and have been sober for three years with no relapses (believe it or not). The question that I asked is this: If I had HIV how long would it take for symptoms to start appearing? I know this varies greatly from person to person but I'm just asking for a basic estimate. The other question I have is what kind of symptoms appear due to HIV? I know this also varies but I'm just asking for a basic answer. The reason Im asking this question is because I refuse to get tested for HIV PERIOD, and I know that IV drug users have a higher rate of infection. Please answer because it's becoming a drag writing this same question and not getting it answered -no offence. VIVA ITALIA Oh, if any of these symptoms that you mention start to appear I promise you I will get tested and start treatment.
Response from Dr. Frascino
I haven't responded to your questions because you already provided accurate answers!
1. How long does it take for symptoms to start appearing if you were HIV infected? "I know this varies from person to person. . . ." I absolutely agree and that is the correct and accurate answer.
2. What kind of symptoms appear due to HIV disease? "I know this also varies. . . ." BINGO! Once again, I absolutely agree and once again that is the correct and accurate answer.
As for waiting for these variable symptoms to appear a variable time before getting HIV tested, that makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. By the time symptoms appear HIV has often had the opportunity to decimate the immune system. In fact, that's why the symptoms appear. At this point treatment is much less likely to be effective and life expectancy is shortened dramatically.
You've been sober for three years. BRAVO. Now it's time to man-up, grow a pair and get HIV tested. You're obviously (and appropriately!) concerned about HIV; otherwise you wouldn't be repeatedly sending me these questions.
Review the archives. You'll find lots of stories of folks who waited way too long to get tested because they were scared. They paid a dear price by delaying their diagnosis and treatment.
If I had waited until symptoms developed before I got tested, I can assure you I wouldn't be here today responding to your question. I'd be pushing up daisies.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- How Long Does It Take To Notice Hiv Symptoms After Contact?
- White Discharge Gonorrhea
- What's The Difference Between Mouth Herpes And Mouth Blisters?
- What To Do When Prescriptions Do Not Work For Bacterial Vaginosis?
- What Does Herpes Around The Anus Look Like?
- What Causes Genital Warts To Come Back?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.