Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Sex and menstrual period with condom
Oct 28, 2010

First Dr. Robert I want to congratulate you for your effort. I already donate at your page. Your answers here have been very helpful. However I will make my own question: About a week ago I had sex with a high risk female using a condom. When we finished I went to the bathroom and took out my condom and throw it to the toilet (it seems with no damage....holding the semen) and realize then that there was blood in the water. I took a piece of toilette paper and clean my penis (all of it) and the paper had blod stains. Then I went to the shower and clean with water and soap. Im in risk?? Im concerned about having blood all over my penis because of the "cleaning" and rubing with the toilette paper. I have even wondered if the condom broked and that is why there was blood in the penis (probaly just the freak talking) My other concern is that Im maried and we have plans of looking for a baby in the next months which translate to unprotected sex in a month or so....and of course I dont want to tell my wife about the situation. How can I be sure Im not infected in a shorter period of time? If I use a condom with my wife while Im sure I will not infect her right?? (in the case that Im infected)What precautions should I take during sex with my wife??

Thanks in advance for your response

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Assuming the latex condom was used properly and did not fail (break), your HIV-acquisition risk would be essentially nonexistent, even with the presence of menstrual blood. Your concerns about blood contact due to "cleaning" are unwarranted.

Regarding your wife and plans to conceive a child, there really is no way to reliably speed up the HIV-testing process! (If there were, why would anyone wait three months, right?) I would suggest:

1. Leveling with your wife. It's not only the best way to confront your guilt about your extramarital activity, but it's also the right thing to do.

2. Use latex condoms with your wife until your HIV-negative status is confirmed with a definitive negative three-month HIV-antibody test.

Thanks for your donation to The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). It's warmly appreciated. In return I'm sending my good-luck karma that your definitive three-month HIV test is negative.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Indeterminate ELISA indeterminate WB scared
Next
Can Valtrex affect HIV test results? Please answer!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.