Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Split Condom risk
Oct 25, 2010

I had sex with a gay couple and was being penetrated when the condom split. I didn't notice it split but he did and as soon as he realised he pulled out. The condom had split completely in two. After this he changed condom and we carried on for a while. He also came in my mouth later on. At the end i asked them both their status and they said they were negative but i got the impression that they hadn't been tested for a while and so were just assuming they were ok. They also see sleep with other guys as a couple.

Afterwards i could find no trace of bleeding but around 3hrs later when i had a bowel movement there was some blood.

I started to freak out so went to the clinic who said it was low risk but offered PEP if i wanted it.

I took up the offer and started it 43hrs after exposure.

Some people might think im over reacting but im quite a paranoid person.

I want to know what risk you think there is of infection say if he was HIV positive and didn't know it?

Do i really need PEP?

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

The CDC's per-act statistical estimate of risk for acquiring HIV via unprotected anal receptive sex with a partner confirmed to be HIV positive is 50 per 10,000 exposures. Your estimated statistical risk would be less, as we do not know the HIV status of your top gun. Your potential exposure was extremely brief. In addition, receptive oral sex carries only a small risk for HIV transmission/acquisition. In cases such as yours PEP may be "offered," but is seldom "recommended." Do you really need PEP? From a statistical and medical standpoint, most likely no, you do not.

Dr. Bob

Previous
I am HIV -, female. My husband is HIV +, male. we would like to have a baby. (PREGNANCY: HIV POSITIVE MALE AND HIV NEGATIVE FEMALE 2010)
Next
testosterone supplementation side effects

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.