Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

6 months after exposure and PEP Treatment
Oct 20, 2010

Hello Dr Bob, I am from South Africa and I was exposed to a woman who i asked to do a test a day after we engaged on protected sex and I performed oral sex on her(i had bleeding gums but not on the incident). She came back with really sad results, SHE WAS POSITIVE. I did this because I had saw strange ulcer on her lip.

Immediately after work I went to the hospital and explained my situation and they gave me PEP treatment. Three months later I was still negative. But id develop strange symptoms which freaked me out. Six months later I went for another test and came back negative. However I have an aphthous ulcer ans am developing a cold sore. Is this seroconversion

All this things happened mostly when i go online and surfed. Its bad I know but eish, Ive also learnt about psychosomatic diseases and I think that's what going on with me. I'm going crazy

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

"All the things happened mostly when I go online and surfed. It's bad I know but eish, I've learned about psychosomatic diseases and I think that is what's going on with me." I agree!

Your three- and six-month post-PEP negative HIV-antibody tests are definitive, conclusive and WOO-HOO-able. HIV is not your problem. No way. No how. No additional HIV tests are warranted. If my reassurance is not sufficient for you to shake your unwarranted worries, consider getting counseling (psychotherapy) to help you confront your irrational fears and accept the overwhelming, irrefutable and quite wonderful news that you are HIV negative!

Dr. Bob

Previous
Starting to worry...
Next
Indeterminate ELISA Indeterminate Western Blot - scared

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.