Band Aid Blunder

Hi Dr. Bob

I'm actually resubmitting a question I asked about a week ago. I know. I know. There is only one of you and millions of us. That's fair, but I couldn't help but take another shot. Your advice seems to always be sensible and helpful.

I'm a high school teacher, and the other day in class i noticed one of my students struggling to put a band aid on their arm in a tricky spot. They had a small cut that didn't seem to be bleeding, so i just walked over and pretty much put it on for him. Only later did I notice the sore on my index finger that had not yet healed shut. I've been in somewhat of a panic ever since wondering how i could have been so stupid to deal with an open wound without gloves. Now i'm about pretty sure that no blood got on me or my finger, but i still worry. Even if that's true, would it be possible to still get infected through some kind of blood "vapor" or something rising up out of the wound. I know this sounds silly, but when it comes to medical stuff, I am pretty much out of my element. My sore was a couple of days old, but the outer layer of skin had not healed and covered it back up.

I don't know doc. I'm really worried about all this. Thanks in advance if my question is one of the ones you answer. No matter what i'll be donating to your foundation to support the great work you are doing.

Peace Out.

You are worried about a "small cut that didn't seem to be bleeding" on a high school student? You're "pretty sure that no blood got on (you) or (your) finger, but (you) still worry"??? And you're wondering: "Would it be possible to still get infected through some kind of blood 'vapor' or something rising up out of the wound????" Oh my. No wonder I didn't respond the first time you submitted this question.

You state: "I know this sounds silly . . . ." BINGO! Not only does it sound silly; it is silly. Your HIV-acquisition risk is nonexistent. High school teacher, you need to do some remedial education to become better informed about HIV/AIDS. Your homework is to read the archives of this forum and pay particular attention to exactly how HIV is and is not transmitted. Be prepared for a pop quiz sometime soon.

Hi Doctor Bob, No real question. Just hello
Quick question, big worry, reasonable donation