what i have to do to protect my partner?
Oct 15, 2010
hello doctor robert. wishing you the best and your loveones. i'm hiv positive diagnose february 2010. cd4 310 vrl 4500 now on atripla for about 6 months undetectable and cd4 510. my question is how can i protect my girfriend of 6 years from contacting the virus. she test negative 3 months \ and 6 months. this makes my life more easier because i wouldn't be able to deal with something like give this virus to my best friend. i want to do everything i can to keep her safe. we are using condoms and lubricants everytime we make love. it worries me that sometimes i bleed when i brush my teeth, we kiss. can you give me some advice.i ask my doctor and that only thing she told me besides using protection was that there is always risk, wich i know that, and just want to make sure i do everything possible to make her safe. thanks thanks and god help us all.
Response from Dr. Frascino
I would suggest:
1. Floss every day to strengthen your gums and talk to your dentist about the bleeding when you brush.
2. Read the chapter devoted to magnetic couples in the archives of this forum. There you will find some harm-reduction suggestions for magnetic couples, such as PrEP (pre-exposure prophylaxis).
3. Have a dose of PEP (post-exposure prophylaxis) ready in case of an accidental exposure.
I should also point out that now that you are on effective combination antiretroviral therapy that has driven your viral load down to undetectable levels for six months, the risk of HIV transmission is significantly decreased.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Sinus Infection Could I Have Acute HIV Infection
- Blowjob From A Prostitute Scared To Death
- Blood In Urine After Anal Sex Worried I Have HIV
- Itchy Rash After Touching Dried Semen Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Loose Stool After Swallowing Sperm Worried I Have HIV
- Penis Discharge After Unprotected Anal Sex Without Ejaculation Does It Mean I Have HIV
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.