The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

condoms and tea

Oct 15, 2010

Dear Doctor Bob, My dog licked a used condom in the park then when we got home (unbeknown to me) he drank tea out of a cup. Then my brother drank out of the same cup and my sister got the dog's saliva on her fingers and ate a sandwich. Could my brother and sister get infected with HIV?

Response from Dr. Frascino


This sounds like one of those absurd math equations everyone hated in high school: Train A leaves the station at 10 AM heading west to Station B at 50 miles per hour while Train B leaves Station B at the exact same time heading east at 35 miles per hour and a little puppy named Toto is asleep on the tracks two thirds of the way from Station A to Station B. Which train squishes Toto to smithereens first? (The answer is neither because Toto would wake up and get off the tracks when he heard the trains coming.)

As for your dog licking used condoms, drinking tea out of a cup and your brother using the same cup and your sister getting dog spittle on her fingers before she munched on her PB&J sandwich (with the crust cut off), there is absolutely no HIV-transmission risk. None. Zero. Zip. Nada. If HIV were transmitted that easily, it would have wiped out the planet long ago.

Dr. Bob

resubmitted form the Fatigue and Anemia Forum: Discordant couple - Risk of HCV transmission (Hepatitis C Virus Infections Among HIV-Infected Men Who Have Sex With Men: An Expanding Epidemic, 2010 )
what i have to do to protect my partner?

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint