Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

RE: Can HIV be transmitted via a nitrous balloon?
Oct 15, 2010

Dr. Bob,

Thank you much for the prompt reply and comforting words.

Really, no chance of catching HIV via a nitrous balloon? Not even if I shared a balloon with someone who had bleeding gums or an open mouth sore? I'm confused. My doctor at Kaiser says that the virus IS transmitted via saliva. Can you kindly elaborate?

By the way, I read your profile...WOW! You're amazing! I will be mailing a donation by end of day.

Best, Vanessa

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Vanessa,

Yes, really! You can not acquire HIV from a nitrous oxide balloon, (even if you shared it with someone with bleeding gums or mouth sores).

Your Kaiser doctor told you HIV is transmitted via saliva and you want me to elaborate? Hmm. OK, Here ya go. Your Kaiser doctor is wrong. Is that elaborate enough? If you need a more detailed scientific answer, saliva does contain HIV, but not at concentrations high enough to result in viral transmission. Saliva that contains visible fresh blood from an HIV-positive person could theoretically be a risk for transmission. The nitrous balloon would have to be a bloody mess before it would be considered a risk, OK?

Thanks for your donation to The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). Now stop worrying!

Dr. Bob

Can HIV be transmitted via a nitrous balloon? Oct 14, 2010

Hi Doctor,

I attended a "rave" like party on 8/21/10. At this party, nitrous balloons were being passed around. I took several hits...And now I am wondering if there is any chance I can get HIV from sharing a balloon. My concern is that I have a tooth filling that fell out...So if shared a balloon with an HIV infected person, could the virus enter through my tooth?

I took an oral HIV test at Planned Parenthood on 9/30/10. It was negative.

I tested for other STD's, negative too. Pap smear was normal.

I have not had unprotected sex since 11/14/09. My fiance was a virgin, and we have never had unprotected sex.

I have read that HIV is not transmitted via saliva, but I'm wondering if there is any chance of infection if I shared a balloon with someone that perhaps had an open mouth sore, etc. Am I paranoid or is this a valid concern?

I made myself quite sick for 11 days prior to testing. I didn't eat, sleep, suffered anxiety attacks, nightmares, etc. You would think that after I got my negative test results I would be relieved, on the contrary, I began questioning the accuracy of the HIV oral rapid test. And now I find myself crying and feeling nervous all the time. Please help.

Best, Vanessa

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Vanessa,

A rave where everyone sounded like Alvin and the Chipmunks? Hmm. Well, at least it's safer than loads of other party favors passed around at raves.

Your concerns about STD/HIV via nitrous oxide balloons is unwarranted. The risk is nonexistent. Neither worry nor HIV testing is warranted. If my reassurance isn't sufficient for you to shake your irrational fears, consider getting help from your doctor for anxiety. HIV is definitely not your problem!

Dr. Bob

Previous
HIV guilt (DISCLOSURE, INSPOT.ORG, 2010 )
Next
Discordant Couple .

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.