Indeterminant Western Blot Negative Elisa

Hi Dr. Frascino,

I recently had an indeterminant Western Blot result. The test was performed at my primary care doctor's office. I do NOT believe the Elisa was performed prior. After reading up on your posts, I realize this is not the proper procedure for HIV testing. Regardless, I was obviously concerned and so I had a rapid test performed 2 weeks later which yielded a negative result. My primary care doctor is continuing to call me and pushing me to get RNA testing for my inconclusive western blot. Is this really necessary? I am a nurse but have never had an HIV exposure to my knowledge. I am in a heterosexual relationship with my boyfriend for over 3 years and he was tested 1 year ago for HIV and was negative and although this may sound naive, he says he has not been with anyone else and I believe that. Do you think I need to get further testing?

Do I think you need additional HIV testing? Nope. Rather, what you need is a more competent primary care doctor! I'd fire the one you have. HIV RNA testing is not warranted.

You have no HIV-risk exposures, and you have a negative rapid HIV test confirming your negative HIV status. The Western Blot test should not have been ordered. It is indicated only as a confirmatory test following a positive screening ELISA, EIA or rapid test. Indeterminate WB test results are common.

You can read much more about HIV diagnostic tests in the archives of this forum.

The only thing you have to worry about is your primary care doctor's complete lack of understanding regarding HIV diagnostic testing!

FNAC advised by ENT & symptoms
Statistics?