Chemotherapy and CD4 Counts

I recently have had 4 sessions of chemotherapy. 2 were chemoembolization and the other 2 where the chemo drips via IV where I was in the hospital for a week each time. I have another session on chemoembolization this week. When I went to see my HIV doctor, my labs showed that my viral load increased due to the chemotherapy. My question is, will my viral load count go back to its' normal status and keep me undetectable? I'm in good health, undetectable, athletic, don't drink, don't smoke, but I'm oh so close to being put on the liver transplant list for my HBV Coinfection and want to make sure I won't have any problems.

Your help and input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Lawrence

Hello Lawrence,

Whenever the HIV plasma viral load increases (viral replication increases), there is a risk of developing resistance to certain antiretrovirals. Hopefully off chemo your viral load will once again plummet to undetectable levels. If not, your HIV physician should run a resistance test (phenotype/genotype) to help ascertain if you have developed resistance to any of your mediations. If so, a switch in drugs would be warranted.

Good luck!

Should I raise the white flag?
Brief Exposure from a Condom Break