PEP Issue - Not addressed in archives!

Dr Bob,

I had a recent exposure whereby I had drunk protected sex with an unknown partner in a sauna in London. As I took the condom off to replace it (it was slipping) I jokingly said to my partner 'shall I just stick it in' to which he seemed indifferent and then nodded. The problem I have is that I can't remember what happened next (I dont vividly remember having unprotected sex but I can't rule it out either - it would be unlike me to take such a risk). 58 hours after this potential exposure I succumbed to my extreme anxiety and was prescribed PEP Truvada and Kaletra. I've been on it for almost three weeks with a 100% adeherance and no significant side effects however for some reason today I found one of my Truvada pills on the floor of my bedroom out of the bottle - I was travelling last week and counted out how many pills I would need to take with me and I think this one fell on the floor. It would have been there for around a week and a half. When I found it I returned it to the bottle but I'm worried now that because it was out of the bottle for a week and a half it either wont work or it will damage me and as such cause my PEP to fail. I asked at the pharamcy and they said if I new what pill it was (I couldn't tell as I returned it to the bottle) they would replace it but that in their opinion it should be fine to take it as usual and it wont be affected...Would you agree that this pill is fine? I'm freaking out that my PEP regime will now 100% fail and I'll definately get a HIV+ result - PEP was my last chance.

Please advise - it would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards

T

Hello T,

I absolutely agree with the pharmacist. One Truvada tablet on the floor for 1.5 weeks will not affect its efficiency whatsoever. I see no need to replace it or worry about PEP failure or personal side effects.

Continue your PEP regimen as prescribed.

Good luck. Be well.

Precum-filled Penis tip touched stripper's body...Pls help...worried sick!
3rd post the worried well