Your valuable input Dr.Bob-Thanks in advance!

Hello Dr.Bob,

First of all thanks for the wealth of information you provide us via this site! Great work indeed. I would just like your feedback and advise on the following: I have hook up with a girl around a month now and its a serious relationship. She is 28 and she has only had 3 long term relationships in her life. The last relationship lasted 5 years with a guy, who was also blood donor. Prior to this relationship (i.e. 5 years ago) she had HIV test which came back negative. Last time she had sex with this guy (and then split up to hook up with me) was late June 2010. It is my policy to always ask for an HIV test prior to the start of a relationship. And so I did in this occassion as well. She accepted with no objections and so we both had an HIV AB/AG P24 test (CMIA) on 7th of September (thats around 10,5-11 weeks after her last sex encounter with the previous guy). Both our tests came out negative. She also says she has never cheated - and I think I can believe that based on her stance so far. Based on the above info, do you think that I can be certain that she is HIV free? Thanks in advance. To donate 50$ for your important work.

George.

Hi George,

It seems reasonable to me to assume your partner is HIV negative. Despite her negative status, however, I still suggest latex condoms not only to prevent potential future STDs, but also unwanted pregnancies. Consider condoms an "extra layer" of protection.

Thank you for your tax-deductible donation to The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). It's warmly appreciated and urgently needed.

Be well George and good luck with your new relationship.

Thank You Dr. Bob
Serious Korean with phobia