Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Overdose or normal dosage?
Oct 3, 2010

I have an HIV+ partner and we recently had sex and by a condom breaking I was exposed to the virus. We have been together two years and he became positive a aprox. a year prior to that. I managed to get treatment and medication about 12 hours after the exposure. At the emergency room they prescribed me to take 6 Kaletra tablets twice daily and one Truvada tablet daily. On that dosage I threw up constantly, I could barely eat for four days and thought I was going to die. When I return to a different doctor's office for a follow-up they told me that that was not correct and to change from six twice a day to two twice a day. With the new dosage I have no side effects other than occasional diarrhea. This worries me because with the higher dosage I thought that I was not going to be able to continue the medication like most do not but now it's like i'm not taking any medication. This may sound like a weird question, but the reason why I ask is because I go to military doctor's and they're not always the most informed when it comes to these situations. I just looking for some sort of peace of mind on the matter. What do you think?

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

Assuming you have the 200/50 mg tablet formulation of Kaletra, the proper dosage would be two tablets taken twice daily. Truvada (200 mg of emtricitabine plus 300 mg of tenofovir disoproxil fumate) is dosed one tablet per day.

I would suggest you file a complaint with the emergency room that prescribed the incorrect dosage of Kaletra!

Good luck!

Dr. Bob

Previous
Defining AIDS (HIV VERSUS AIDS DIAGNOSIS DEFINITION, 2010)
Next
RE:Infected after "protected" hand-job/boob-job, fatigued and suicidal...help me dr.bob!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.