ACU CHECK ( we dont know if he is positive but she is) and Frank Rich

Good night Dr Bob. Thank you for your time. I was wondering if you know something about the reliability of the rapid test called ACU CHECK. I could not find any information in the net. I just found a guy who wrote (in 2008) in the medhelp forum the following: " I found out that the HIV test I took is made by Acon Labs (USA):

www.aconlabs.com San Diego, CA 92121, USA.

The name Acu-check is an OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) for Latin America. It is their product with a different brand. Still, this laboratory doesn't hold and FDA approval for their HIV tests (in the US. "

It sounds familiar to me because I am from Mexico. I checked the website and it said that all OEM are FDA approved. I don't know if I should believe this.

My questions are: 1. Do you know something about this rapid test and its relaiability? I am a woman . I took two test prior to the three month mark but I know these arent conclusive so ill skip details. I took an Isti rapid test 3 months after a vaginal exposure (no ejaculation) and came back negative.An ELISA AT 4 months came negative as well. I took the rapid test called "acu check" allegedly from ACON Labs 5 months and 3 weeks after the same exposure in order to be completly sure of my negative results because the guy I slept with ... slept with a positive hiv girl but he just disappeared.I found out that the girl is positive becasue she contacted me. We still dont know if he is hiv positive. It was a one night stand for both of us (she and me), we just have his phone number and he erased his facebook profile :S. My general doctor said I am fine but i feel like I need an expert advice.

2. do you think that further testing is necessary here? Are the following syntoms concerning?

5 months after the exposure i came down with a classic flu for one week, 5 months and two weeks i had a throat infection (white patches in my throat that dissapear in less than one week without medication). I had sex with my current boyfriend without a condom becasue my doctor told me that under any situation 4 months is all i needed. Right now my boyfriend had sore thorat and a flu like illnes.

3. finally, this is not a question but i was whatching an interview from 2009 with Frank Rich over the internet (the colbert report) and during this time i simultaneously read a comment where you said that frank rich was your friend.. it was just a funny coincidence i guess...

Thank you very very much for reading. IM TRYING TO NOT FREAK OUT. Hope you will answer back. Have a great night and sorry about my english.

carolina

Hello Carolina,

1. I have no experience with ACU CHECK HIV rapid tests. Sorry. However, a negative four-month ELISA is extremely encouraging. If your partner was HIV infected and you had unprotected vaginal sex with him, you should repeat your HIV-antibody test at the six-month mark of confirm your negative status. The odds are now astronomically in your favor that you are HIV negative.

2. Regarding testing, see above. As for symptoms, no, they are not concerning.

3. Yes, I have met Frank Rich and he is a remarkable guy. His columns in the Sunday New York Times are quite brilliant.

condom break on pep
Poppers (POPPERS, 2010)