Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Another One Of Those Scared Stiff
Oct 2, 2010

Dear Dr. Bob, first of all I'd like to thank you for providing a ton of information to those that are afraid or have HIV. You're a god send. You've made me feel more at ease with asking this question. Long story short, I have had both protected and unprotected sex with females. I'm a straight 25-year old male. Recently I contracted Chlamydia from a female that told me she got it from someone else, my own stupid mistake for trusting her of course. I went and got treated for Chlamydia and am clear of that hurdle. Researching online, I found out that this opens up a bigger possibility for HIV, which has me scared stiff, not even being able to function normally at work without worrying, and I am guessing causing my "HIV symptoms", such as itching, etc. Really, is my only solution to just get tested and that's that? I've decided that even if I do have it, I will live my life to the fullest and seek treatment immediately. Thank you so much for your time and guidance in this matter!

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Another One of Those Scared Stiff,

First of all, as for being "scared stiff," isn't being "stiff" how you got into this problem to begin with?

Unprotected sex does place you at risk for acquiring STDs, including HIV. Guess you learned that lesson the hard way, eh? As it turns out, some STDs, such as chlamydia, are extremely easy to acquire, while others, such as HIV, are much less so (thankfully!).

"HIV symptoms" are notoriously unreliable in predicting who is and is not HIV infected. Your decisions to get HIV tested is the correct one. Anyone who has placed himself at risk for HIV needs an HIV-antibody test at the three-month mark, whether he has "symptoms" or not.

BRAVO for your positive attitude on what to do if you were to test positive: "live life to the fullest and seek medical treatment immediately"! I wish everyone were as enlightened!

Good luck Mr. Stiffy. I'm sending my good-luck karma that you are now and will always be HIV free!

Dr. Bob

Previous
waiting for results...going crazy..wanna have baby
Next
Have you heard of Dr. Sebi? ("DR." SEBI IS A QUACK, 2010)

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.