Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

waiting for results...going crazy..wanna have baby
Oct 2, 2010

Hey Doctor You must feel like a rock star since you have so many fans! Ok, enough with the coolness..Here goes: A year and a half back i had unprotected sex with a man I knew from work. We did it twice, one with condom, one half way without condom, meaning he didn't cum inside of me, but put on a condom (although I think, i was quite drunk). Then I heard that he might be bisexual. A month later I engaged in a short-term relationship with a man also from work. The first two times we had sex the condom broke and instead of kicking the loser-who-cannot-put-a-condom-right out, I had quite a few unprotected encounters with him. We broke it off after 1 month. A few months later I found out this guy had a compulsory hiv test and was negative. Then, I met my husband! We got married right away and want to have a baby. I'm now married for a year. None of us has tested for hiv. We did it a few times with no condom but then I got the hiv mania. I was diagnosed with hpv and started looking up stuff and i think I have hiv. i have pains in hands+feet+I feel them kinda warm+a tender scalp since I found out about this. My cbc was ok (5500 wbc), my urine tests ok, neurologist says it's anxiety but I think it's peripheral neuropathy. Today I plucked up the courage and went to get tested. Results due tomorrow. What are my chances? I really wanna have a baby and not be an hiv+ mum. I think I'm gonna jump off the balcony if i test positive. I have been crying every day for six months. Help me! Will be donating soon, as I currently spent all my money on tests and docs!

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Sounds like a horned-up work environment to me. Where did you say you were employed? "Studs "R" Us?"

Your HIV-acquisition risk includes "one half way without condom" experience with bisexual bachelor #1 (this would technically be considered an "unprotected" sexperience), "quite a few unprotected encounters" with bachelor #2 who couldn't figure out how to put his raincoat on properly, and "a few" unprotected horizontal mattress mambos with your hubby.

Unprotected sex does place you at risk for STDs, including HIV; consequently, HIV testing is warranted. You've been married for a year now. Since neither you nor your hubby man has been tested and since you are considering starting a family, it would be a good idea for both of you to be tested. You've had your test drawn and are awaiting your result. Statistically speaking the odds remain very much in your favor that you have not acquired HIV. You should have routine follow up regarding your HPV infection. Your discomfort in your hands and feet and tender-scalp problem have been evaluated by a neurologist. He advised it was related to anxiety but you think it's peripheral neuropathy. I'd have to bet with the neurologist on this one! After all he did go to medical school, do an internship and residency, and then complete specialized post-doctoral training to become a neurologist, right? You, on the other hand, "looked up stuff" on the Internet. You also state you'll jump off the balcony if you test positive and that you've been crying every day for six months. Hmm. Sounds like anxiety to me.

Thanks for your desire to support The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). In return I'm sending my good-luck karma that your HIV test will be negative.

Good luck!

Dr. Bob

Previous
statment Re :Help I am so scared - third time
Next
Another One Of Those Scared Stiff

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.