Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

my dear wife is hiv+
Sep 28, 2010

Hello Dr Frascino

Hoping this message finds you very well.

I had recently done a HIV duo test in London 6 months after a significant exposure. I am HIV-. My wife recently found out that she is HIV+. I love my wife, and I am learning to deal with this magnetic relationship. Your archives on magnetic couples are very useful and informative. I need some clarification and advice.

a. Since I am negative after 6 months, am I definitively HIV-?

b. When I took my test at the STD clinic, the doctor also examined the lymph nodes under my armpit. He examined without gloves, and he was rather rough when he pressed down using his fingers. I felt a slight prick (perhaps his fingernails) to the point that it became quite sore and red. When I returned home, I saw some blood on the inside of my t-shirt sleeve. I found the doctors examination to be very strange. Am I at risk for HIV because of what the doctor did? Or am I simply being irrational, and that I should forget about this episode?

It has been a difficult time for me coming to terms with my wifes condition. Hoping for a reply, please.

Many thanks, Jeremy L.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Sorry to hear about your wife's recent HIV diagnosis. Be sure to tell her about this site. There is a wealth of information here that she may find helpful as she learns to cope with her new reality.

Turning now to your specific questions:

You tested HIV-antibody negative six months after a significant exposure. That means you did not contract HIV from that exposure. However, if you've subsequently discovered you're HIV positive, you may have had additional HIV exposures (unprotected sex) since that time. In this case you'll need repeat HIV testing now and again at the three- and six-month marks from the date of your last potential exposure.

The examination of your axillary lymph nodes certainly sounds excessively rough! That's a sensitive area and it isn't necessary to push that hard to palpate the lymph nodes. That you bled after the exam is unusual, but such rough treatment is certainly not a risk for HIV.

I'm pleased to hear you have found the information in the archives pertaining to magnetic couples beneficial.

Good luck to you both.

Dr. Bob

Previous
First transgender encounter
Next
Another positive I'm positive fluffernutter

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.