Condom broke

Hi Dr. Frascino. Thanks for taking your time to read the question. I will be donating either way.

So, i am a 24 year old lesbian. I think i have a slight ocd about hiv which I am in the process of finding a good therapist for. That being said, I had worked up to taking my first hiv test about three months ago that came back negative. (Planned Parenthood lost my results at first so that was frightening). Anyway, I made a drunken mistake and slept with a guy about 5 weeks ago. We did use a condom of course but it broke and when I felt it break he pulled out after a few seconds of hesitation and did not ejaculate. I am very scared that I now have HIV.

I started to get a sore throat the next day after the sex and a week later went to the doctor, instant strep test came back negative but then the full test came back positive. I didn't exactly finish all my antibiotics and now 5 weeks later I have completely different symptoms of cough, runny nose and green mucus. Could any of this be ARS? Do you think it's likely that the pre cum in the condom could have given me hiv?

Thanks!!

Your "few seconds" of potential exposure resulting from the broken condom present only a very minimal risk. Your symptoms are not suggestive of or worrisome for HIV acute retroviral syndrome (ARS). An HIV-antibody test at the three-month mark is all that's recommended. The odds are astronomically on your side that you did not contract the virus from this "drunken mistake."

Thank you for your donation to The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). It's warmly appreciated. In return I'm sending you my good-luck karma that your definitive three-month HIV test is negative.

anger management guy
Taking Combivir PEP and caught a cold