Undetectable HIV on Atripla 8 years

I am HIV Neg and my boyfriend is HIV pos with 4 years now being undetectable. Although we have protected intercourse, we sometimes in the moment forget the "raincoat" so to speak...With him being undetable, we uinderstood that he was non transmittable to me is this true?

Hello Magnetic Couple,

Unfortunately your understanding is not correct! While it is true that being on effective combination antiretroviral therapy that drives plasma HIV viral loads to undetectable levels for greater than six months does significantly decrease the HIV-transmission risk, it does not completely eliminate it! I would suggest you and your positively charged boyfriend review the information in the chapter in the archives of this forum dedicated to magnetic couples. There you will find information about harm-reduction measures for serodiscordant couples, including topics such as PEP (post-exposure prophylaxis) and PrEP (pre-exposure prophylaxis). In addition I would advise:

1. You need an HIV-antibody test now and if negative you'll need repeat testing at both the three- and six-month marks from the date of your last raincoat-less sexual experience.

2. Raincoats are never optional, even in the heat of the moment!

Good luck to you both.

Condom broke with a HIV+ Woman and My results came back negative
Struggling to carry on...pt4 (ANOTHER I'M POSITIVE i'M POSITIVE, 2010)