The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Undetectable HIV on Atripla 8 years

Sep 26, 2010

I am HIV Neg and my boyfriend is HIV pos with 4 years now being undetectable. Although we have protected intercourse, we sometimes in the moment forget the "raincoat" so to speak...With him being undetable, we uinderstood that he was non transmittable to me is this true?

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Magnetic Couple,

Unfortunately your understanding is not correct! While it is true that being on effective combination antiretroviral therapy that drives plasma HIV viral loads to undetectable levels for greater than six months does significantly decrease the HIV-transmission risk, it does not completely eliminate it! I would suggest you and your positively charged boyfriend review the information in the chapter in the archives of this forum dedicated to magnetic couples. There you will find information about harm-reduction measures for serodiscordant couples, including topics such as PEP (post-exposure prophylaxis) and PrEP (pre-exposure prophylaxis). In addition I would advise:

1. You need an HIV-antibody test now and if negative you'll need repeat testing at both the three- and six-month marks from the date of your last raincoat-less sexual experience.

2. Raincoats are never optional, even in the heat of the moment!

Good luck to you both.

Dr. Bob

Condom broke with a HIV+ Woman and My results came back negative
Struggling to carry on...pt4 (ANOTHER I'M POSITIVE i'M POSITIVE, 2010)

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint