Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Me Love you long time, or so she said
Sep 21, 2010

Hi Doc. About 5 weeks ago I met a girl in a bar in Saigon. We frenched a few minutes (one small cut on my lip, minor gum irritation and temporary crowns as well), I fingered her briefly, next thing I know she whispers in my ear that the appetizer was free, but the main course was going to cost me fifty bucks. Needless to say, I decided to go hungry that night and took Suzy Five Fingers home instead, but that hasn't allayed my fears or concerns.

Here's what's going on: About 1 week after I developed a mild sore throat and brief squirts. At 2 weeks post encounter, a palmar/plantar erythemia appeared, along with some brief and minor muscle pain in my left arm/joint and some brief dry cough. At 3 weeks, no change to sore throat, rash dissipated briefly, but a smaller but similar erythemia on my face appeared,. At 4 weeks, swollen cervical lymph nodes for a couple days and a severe worsening of the throat, a neck redder than Jeff Foxworthy, strengthening of rash on hands, and briefly increased myalgias for a couple days along with some serious hypotension. Went to the doc, got some medicine for the now diagnosed pharyngitis, throat improved, but rashes remained. Throughout the last 5 weeks, loss of appetite, increased body temp (no fever, hershey squirts, soaked sheets, visits from God, etc.), but did have general fatigue, and I believe both the liver and spleen enlarged for a couple of days due to some sharp pains I had, but don't think any other lymph nodes did. Now, at 5 weeks, the cervical lymph nodes are tender and swelling again and I have skin peeling on my hands and feet, but inside of the throat is improving with the meds. However, new myalgia in the left leg has appeared, and my blood pressure is still way to high.

Went to the urologist today and had urine and blood drawn to test for a variety of std's, everything except HIV or HTLV since it's too early. A little worried because of the possible syphillis connection the plumber mentioned after looking at the rashes.

Any thoughts? Sound like any ARS you've ever heard of or am I a hypocondriac with an irrational fear who's looking at mono or something else? I'm still abroad and won't have access to English speaking doc's for a few more weeks, so any reply is greatly appreciated.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

I wouldn't say you are a hypochondriac, but I also very strongly doubt you have HIV. Your symptoms are not suggestive of or worrisome for HIV. Your activities with Miss Saigon are not considered to be a significant risk for acquiring HIV. I would suggest you follow up with a physician for any ongoing or persistent symptoms. If you remain worried about HIV, get a single HIV-antibody test at the three-month mark. I'm confident it will be negative. However, if the "visits from God" start occurring, all bets are off!

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Who to believe (TRANSMISSION VIA ORAL SEX, 2010) (BAREBACKING, 2010) (HOW DOES THE TOP GET INFECTED DURING ANAL SEX, 2010)
Next
HIV positive spouse

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.