HIV/Low T/Permanent ED

Dear Dr Robert(also a great Beatles song) I have HIV for 4 and a half years and have also been diagnosed with low testosterone. My problem is that sexually I'm dead, I have no desire and no erections bar nocturnal ones. I haven't ttried viagra in a while as I am also losing mass and gaining central weight and feel unconfident in starting relationships. I am depressed as I'm 35 and would like to have kids but even TRT isn't working. I also have fatigue, stiff joints and depression. I used to be so full of life and now feel like an old man! Should I consider a penile implant at my age?

Your first step should be to discuss this situation with your HIV specialist so that a full evaluation of your erectile dysfunction and other problems can be conducted.

There are a number of underlying medical conditions that could account for your symptoms -- for example depression can be associated with decreased libido and fatigue; hypogonadism can cause erectile dysfunction, decreased libido and fatigue, decreased muscle mass and a host of other symptoms.

Your HIV specialist will check your testosterone replacement dose and your free and total serum testosterone levels. (The free testosterone is more accurate than the total.) Other underlying causes of fatigue and decreased libido, such as anemia, will also be evaluated. Evaluation and treatment of your depression may also be extremely helpful. You can read more about hypogonadism in the archives of the Fatigue and Anemia forum.

Stabbed by a needle?
Thanks (RE:Worried about brief encounter with african prostitute)