re: Something Infectious...I'm positive there is something wrong with me

So I saw an infectious disease specialist we talked for quite some time going through every thing that happened. He seemed to be quite confident in the HIV tests accuracy at three months post exposure despite in a few very rare cases someone not testing positive until 6 months post exposure. He recommended me get testing again at 6 months but he said it for reassurance.

He was able to look at on his terminal for every test I've had done and I have an IgM deficiency as well as a IgG2 deficiency although he said they weren't much below the reference range so he wasn't too concerned.

He seemed to think I likely caught something more common like an Enterovirus. He also told me symptoms are the body's reaction to an infection they aren't cause my the infection itself which I already knew. This is why I'm still concerned I'm having quite noticeable neurological symptoms, plenty of fatigue, as well as a loss of appetite, quite often loose pale stools with diarrhea from time to time. I've also noticed waking up quite hot not a night sweat I know what they are because I've had them before waking up drenched but I've been a hot and a bit sweaty for no good reason.

I was also told what's on my tongue isn't OHL(Oral hairy leukoplakia) or thrush he said it was geographic tongue. White the doctor I saw is a general infectious disease specialists in the past his main field of work focused on HIV, saying he has seen a lot of OHL in the past.

I guess I'm still concerned if it was an enterovirus which caused my acute symptoms and the symptoms I'm still having wouldn't my body have likely cleared it by now? over five months since my exposure meaning I wouldn't be experiencing symptoms anymore.

I also asked the infectious disease specialist about specific antibody deficiency he told me it was a clever question. He gave me an example that when someone gets strep throat or something like that and they treat it and it keeps coming back that's specific antibody deficiency. I didn't ask about specific antibody deficiency and how it relates to HIV I recall reading one abstract about an individual who had a specific antibody deficiency for HIV despite having normal responses to common infections and vaccines.

I guess I'm not going to rest until I get my 6 month post exposure negative in large part due to the fact I'm still having unexplained symptoms that could be associated with HIV. I certainly hope I'm not one of the very rare cases that don't test positive until six months post exposure, I know the US CDC states that tests at 3 months post infection are 97% accurate at picking up infections some even say as high as 99%. For example if I just so happened to be in that 1-3% of people who have an atypical response to HIV infection and I didn't get retested at 6 months post exposure I could have put other people at risk and infected them, possibly leading to devastating consequences for myself and others.

Although I don't live in the U.S. it can be quite quite confusing that they their CDC states 3 month post exposure tests are conclusive when your partner is of unknown status yet when your partner is known to be HIV positive you should be tested at 3 & 6 months post exposure. I have some understanding why the guidelines are different but it's still somewhat odd and confusing given the fact the conclusiveness of a test shouldn't be any different based on circumstances.They aren't using different tests right?. Odds wise yes it changes things a lot so I guess they're factoring that into the equation giving different time frames for the their conclusiveness of their HIV tests.

Have you ever personally seen a negative HIV test at 3 months turn positive at 6 months? I'm guessing this would be a lot more common with more primitive forms of anti-HIV tests but how about in the past few years?

I hoping and praying you're right that HIV isn't the cause of my ailments! All I know for certain is that I'm having aliments the cause at this point in time is unknown.

I understand you saying that me "Continuing to perseverate on a disease you (and others) could not possibly have is counterproductive." But I guess I won't be able to fully rest until I'm 100% certain HIV isn't the cause of my unexplained symptoms which means I need a negative test at 6 months post exposure.

Not to mention I was stupid after I got my three month negative test and I had a sense of security for a couple weeks that HIV wasn't the cause of my ailments and I saw my X GF one night we had sex a few times. I put a condom on we had sex for a bit and she went to give me oral sex and she took it off later she told me they taste bad and then she got on top of me. Although this was another risk I'm not really concerned about it due to the fact that I didn't get sick with very strange after this encounter nor did my unexplained symptoms come about after this encounter either.

The last time I had seen her was in December 2009 so I know for a fact she wouldn't have been the one that infected me if I turn out to be HIV positive. Especially if she gets tested and it's negative.

Thanks for the update. My assessment and advice remain unchanged!

As for my personally seeing a negative three-month HIV-antibody test convert to positive at six months, no, not without extenuating circumstances that would account for the delay in seroconversion.

Your decision to have unprotected sex with your ex-girlfriend was unwise. I continue to recommend latex condoms for all penetrative sex.

Something infectious..I'm positive theirs something wrong with me Aug 12, 2010

I know you state how none of the people in you're I'm positive I'm positive section have ever turned out to be HIV positive. Their's always gotta be a first for something.

Not long after I had a risky random exposure exposure I became severely ill, diarrhea, loss of appetite, fever, bruises for no reason on my thighs I also bruised alot when I gave blood early on post exposure, pain in my neck lymph nodes as well as swollen neck lymph nodes, extreme fatigue, pins and needles in the soles of my feet, a rash on my arms, torso, upper back and chest to name a few of the symptoms.I also got at least half a dozen cold sores in the first two to three weeks post exposure. I have a skin condition called seborrhea on my nasal folds it got extremely inflammed to the point I had to put fusidic ointment to lessen the irritation and eventually going on doxycycline kedoderm wasn't helping. I also have Oral hairy leukoplakia naturally which my dermatologist diagnosed and it got significantly worse soon after my exposure, it slowly improved over many weeks.

My exposure was four months ago. I know symptoms can be subjective and yadda yadda but I truely know my body. I'm still experiencing a drastic loss in appetite, excessive fatigue at times, neurological symptoms, a bit of diarrhea at times and loose stools night sweats, swollen neck lymph nodes(which my GP diagnosed)

I was tested for HIV at 2,4,6,9 and 13 weeks post exposure with all of the tests coming back negative.

I know often with doctors when they don't understand the reason for symptoms or someone feeling a certain way they suspect anxiety. These symptoms are causing me to be anxious not the other way around.

I had elevated White blood cell counts at 2,9,and 10(no other CBC's in between) weeks post exposure specifically my neutrophils were elevated. My one doctor told me it's something infectious which is pretty obvious.

Where I live the guidelines are to get tested up until six months post exposure, as tests at 3 months post exposure will only pick up 97% of infections.

I know their are very few absolutes or guarantees in medicine. With all that said I'm going to get tested again.

Is their any other infectious disease that seems suspicious other than HIV? I don't want to be sick if I have HIV I might just kill myself I don't want to be a burden on my loved ones or on the health care system just so I can suffer. Not knowing what's causing me to be ill is very frustrating.

I'm not denying you (or anyone else) has real symptoms. I'm merely informing you (and others) that a negative HIV-antibody test (or lots and lots of negative HIV-antibody tests) outside the window period (defined as the first three months after exposure) trumps symptoms each and every time. In other words something other than HIV is causing your (and their) symptoms. Continuing to perseverate on a disease you (and others) could not possibly have is counterproductive.

I cannot diagnose the cause of your symptoms over the Internet, as I do not have access to your complete medical file, all your laboratory tests, a thorough medical history and the benefit of a physical examination. What I can do is advise you that HIV is not the cause of your ailments! I can also add this post to the "I'm Positive I'm Positive" chapter with absolute confidence that you will not "be the first"!

I HOPE I HAVEN'T OUTPOSTED MYSELF - I PROMISE THIS IS THE FINALLY !! ONE LAST ADDITION - SORRY &TY
Lab Technician in Need! Donation will follow :)