Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Neurotic feom a neuropathy wheel
Sep 17, 2010

Hi Doctor Bob, I hope you had a great vacation!

Me, not so much. I ended up going to an S&M party two weeks ago and, while I was the one flogging and didn't engage in any sex play with anyone that would have caused fluid transfer (unless you count 5 guys in a hot tub displacing 60% of the water which you probably don't) I did touch a neuropathy wheel to see what it felt like. It felt like pins but when I looked at my thumb, there were no cuts or anything I could see. It still felt like there was and it especially concerned me when I found out the guy with the tool was poz. Still, I know there was no cut there should be no problem, right?

Well, I'm slightly freaked out because almost two weeks to the day, I've come down with the flu. So the hypochondriac I am is bloody nervous. Should I worry? Should I get tested in a few months over this? Should I go with the flannel or the hoodie? Oh wait, wrong doctor for that one.

Thanks Neurotic In London

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Neurotic in London,

Gosh, I was in London all last week. I could have made a house call. Oh wait, maybe not. I was on vacation and way too occupied with happenings in the West End. Loved the new production of All My Sons and War Horse, by the way; Oliver, not so much, but Sweet Charity was "fun, laughs, good times." Your S&M party with the flogging and "neuropathy wheel" doesn't sound like much "fun, laughs, good times" to me. But to each his own. I'm not here to judge. Besides, the five guys in a hot tub certainly could have some appeal. (And you're correct: it's not an HIV risk.)

Your concerns about HIV transmission from the porcupine wheel are unwarranted for two reasons. First, you didn't break the skin and second, HIV doesn't survive very long at all outside the body.

Regarding your "flu" symptoms, remember, the vast, vast majority of flu symptoms have absolutely nothing to do with HIV. They are caused by flu viruses and common colds. I see no cause for concern or HIV testing. Go take a rid on London's Eye or have a nosh at the Food Hall at Harrods and stop worrying. As for the flannel versus the hoodie, I'd recommend the hoodie, definitely the hoodie. It's a better fashion statement for hypochondriacal types.

Be well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
I'm POZ, he's not but he wants to ditch the condoms.
Next
Is A.I.D.S Contageous after death

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.