Follow up - Update

Dr Bob,

Hope you are having or had a GREAT holiday.

I wanted to say a big thank you for all you have done for me, you have totally no idea how much and I really dont know how things would have been if it hadnt been for you in my battle against OCD. You single-handedly gave me my life back. Nothing can ever be more precious than that. No disrespect to my therapist but you made so much more difference. You are an amazing doctor, expert and person. So humble at heart and such a sincere person. The time you take to help people in the world is amazing and I wonder just how many people you have helped in the most amazing ways from people who have genuine risks of HIV to those who suffer from OCD HIV Phobia and how many peoples lives you have even saved. You even have such an fantastic knowledge of OCD and anxiety as well and you know exactly how to deal with those people with OCD, you understand them and know how to deal with OCD in how you respond and you know how to word your answers perfectly in order to help them best. In no risk situations you dont leave the OCD sufferer in doubt by not giving a precise answer which does not help the OCD sufferer at all but you say it as it is with a no risk situation i.e. non existent.

I have been doing so well since your help but it all fell apart when I got a horrible thought in my head as suddenly I remembered for years I have shared my fathers razors at times and sometimes cut myself and never thought anything of it. I of course have had many many HIV tests and even all those times I was sharing his razors (and not thinking anything of it) for years my HIV tests were negative over non existent incidents. So just recently I have thought ohhh my word since my last negative HIV test last year I think I have shared his razors since then and have cut myself at times even. I have been pretty careful more recently have kept my razors to myself in fact if I ever left one in the bathroom even for a few hours I would throw it out but there were a few months when I probably shared his razors since my last negative and cut my self at times too. A lot of the time I couldnt use the razors after he used them as they were full up of facial hair. I just never ever thought anything of sharing my razors with him. However since my OCD has been not good well I have doubted anything and even doubted my own father and whether he has HIV. I have no reason to think he does and am pretty certain he has no risks i.e. no drug use no unsafe sex that I know of (I hope not as he is married to my Mom), he is a pensioner and has given blood many many many times but the last few years he hasnt given any as he said he has given so much and is getting old now.

I also worry now too as my sister sometimes comes over sometimes and has a bath and sometimes shaves her legs etc (she doesnt live with us). I worry now in case she used my razors since my last negative HIV. I know she doesnt do drugs and I know she tested negative for HIV a year or two ago. I know she has a boyfriend though who she is sexually active with though.

I also worry too about wether my Mom might have used my razors since my last HIV negative. Again I have no reason to suspect she has HIV same as my Dad, she is a pensioner but hasn't given blood as far as I know for no particular reason.

So since these horrible thoughts have come into my head my life has gone back into a nightmare again and just wanting to stay asleep all the timeWhy did these awful thoughts come into my mind. I was doing so well and happy again and getting my life back on track and battling this evil OCD.

Im sick of having HIV tests all the time and cant bear to have to have another one after these thoughts about sharing my razors with my Dad, my sister and Mom.

What do you think Dr Bob? Is this another non existent based on everything in detail I have told you about my (probable) sharing my razors with my Dad, sister and Mom etc?

Matt

Hello Matt,

Yep! Nonexistent. It's just your OCD spinning OOC (out of control) once again.

Matt, you are correct when you said you are "battling evil OCD." If your current therapist isn't helping, perhaps it's time to find someone who can. I'd recommend you see a psychiatrist (an MD) rather than a psychologist or other non-MD therapist. The main reason to do so is that MDs can prescribe medications. Your OCD is recurrent and can be incapacitating. Medications may well be extremely helpful, particularly when things begin to spin out of control (like now).

Regarding the razor situation, why not just purchase a large supply of disposable razors and keep them handy for anyone who is not using his own dedicated razor?

You are the mist honest person I know. Maybe you can answer these questions.
I'm POZ, he's not but he wants to ditch the condoms.