can i have a baby
Sep 17, 2010
hi,Bob.I am woman from china and just diagnosed this year.i have been on meds for 4 months.i had a whole exam of my body and all are ok.My regimen is kaletra and TDF and 3TC.I took antibiotics 3days this month ang 1hour later for the meds one day this month. Does it matter? if i want a baby this year.what do your think about my regimen. do your think accorrding to my situation can i have a baby? Maybe i should give your some of my backgroud first .i am 39 and well educated and have no bad habit.healthy and excise ofen.i may got the desease from my ex-boyfriend .in china most of people are sared of hiv and even not brave enouch for common people to look for some info .acctually hiv is a taboo in china.this why i very eager for your help. in order to keep my reputation and can continue my work i pay for hiv tests and meds myself.do your think my meds combination is best?i want the least side effect and convenient one and i wonder if i can buy it from your country(because china hiv meds are not synchro to yours) and i want to know the price to estimate whether i can pay in my life budget. many questions want to ask you ,it hard time for me to fight the desease.your forum are very helpful and you are so kind . all best wishes to you!
Response from Dr. Frascino
Sorry to learn of your recent HIV diagnosis. It's shocking to hear that HIV/AIDS is still taboo in parts of China! We are more than a quarter of a century into this world pandemic and to think some countries are still in denial is nearly inconceivable. This is a viral illness, not a sin or something to be irrationally fearful of. I would encourage you, as a "well educated" person to do all you can to change the prevailing dangerous attitude that exists in China. Driving HIV underground by making it taboo merely increases the rate of new infections as folks are too scared to get tested or properly treated. Education and enlightenment are key. Perhaps you can begin by encouraging your friends and relatives to learn more about HIV/AIDS on Web sites such as this one. It just may save their life!
Regarding your specific questions:
1. Yes, you can get pregnant. You should consult an HIV-knowledgeable obstetrician who is willing to work closely with your HIV specialist. Artificial insemination is the safest technique to use, as it prevents any potential HIV-exposure risk to your partner.
3. Kaletra, tenofovir and 3TC is a recommended treatment regimen. As for if it's the best regimen for you, that depends on your resistance profile and tolerance of the regimen. It's unquestionably a convenient and potent regimen.
4. Purchasing your antiretrovirals from the US would most likely be cost prohibitive. There are generic formulations of many antiretrovirals that you might be able to obtain from other countries (India, Brazil, Canada, etc.). Your HIV specialist may have additional information in this regard.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- How Long After HIV Infection Will You See Seborrheic Dermatitis?
- Can You Get AIDS By Having Sex With Two Different Men Back To Back?
- How Long Does It Take For HIV Symptoms To Show Up?
- Can You Get Hiv From Period Blood On A Toilet Seat?
- Taking Folic Acid When You're Hiv Positive
- How Do I Take Care Of Anemia?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.