More tests (To be or Not to Be)

Dear dr. Bobby,

Thank you for answering my mail. You cant imagine how delighted I was to read it. I hope you had a great time over here on the Emerald Island. And yes, I would have loved to meet you, and buy you a Guiness...although I would not be very good company for you right now.

You know my dilemma, it is the test reuslts being negative, versus my belief that I am positive. I simply cannot believe it. I had never been ill in my life, then I have an exposure with a high risker, and presto, I get symptoms of seroconversion, followed by HIV symptoms. It is too much of a coindidence. And the weight loss that I told you about is all on my legs, arms, and butt.

Dr. Frascino, taking into account that there are so many symptoms, and all reflective of HIV, can you recommend any more tests that I could take? Or is it possible that HIV virus might be hiding, and only detectable by a biopsy of the swollen lymph glands?

And finally, the doctor here has referred me to a psychologist, he says that the mind, and the immune system are interconnected, and that the symptoms are most likely caused by the mind. i just don't believe it. I would like to. Bit how could that many, and such powerful symptoms be caused by stress?

You have the rare gift of being able to bring a smile, and give inspiration, to people in the utmost depths of worry, angst, and sheer terror. Thank You for your light hearted way of dealing with all of us.

I have sent a cheque to your Foundation. It is not a huge amount, because I am spending a lot of medical bills now, but it is what I can afford. I hope that it will help.

Would love a WHOOHOO, but I don't expect one!

With many thanks, and warm regards to you, from Ireland,

Chintzia.

Hello again Chintzia,

A negative HIV test outside the window period trumps "symptoms" each and every time. So when it comes to negative HIV tests versus your "belief," the negative tests win! A psychologist will help you accept the truly wonderful news that you are HIV negative. Whatever is causing your symptoms, one thing is absolutely certain: it's not HIV!

The only thing preventing you from WOO-HOO-ing is your irrational fear. See below.

Blessings from Ireland, and...

Risk from fresh blood to wound
oral sex and gonorrhea