Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

More tests (To be or Not to Be)
Sep 14, 2010

Dear dr. Bobby,

Thank you for answering my mail. You cant imagine how delighted I was to read it. I hope you had a great time over here on the Emerald Island. And yes, I would have loved to meet you, and buy you a Guiness...although I would not be very good company for you right now.

You know my dilemma, it is the test reuslts being negative, versus my belief that I am positive. I simply cannot believe it. I had never been ill in my life, then I have an exposure with a high risker, and presto, I get symptoms of seroconversion, followed by HIV symptoms. It is too much of a coindidence. And the weight loss that I told you about is all on my legs, arms, and butt.

Dr. Frascino, taking into account that there are so many symptoms, and all reflective of HIV, can you recommend any more tests that I could take? Or is it possible that HIV virus might be hiding, and only detectable by a biopsy of the swollen lymph glands?

And finally, the doctor here has referred me to a psychologist, he says that the mind, and the immune system are interconnected, and that the symptoms are most likely caused by the mind. i just don't believe it. I would like to. Bit how could that many, and such powerful symptoms be caused by stress?

You have the rare gift of being able to bring a smile, and give inspiration, to people in the utmost depths of worry, angst, and sheer terror. Thank You for your light hearted way of dealing with all of us.

I have sent a cheque to your Foundation. It is not a huge amount, because I am spending a lot of medical bills now, but it is what I can afford. I hope that it will help.

Would love a WHOOHOO, but I don't expect one!

With many thanks, and warm regards to you, from Ireland,

Chintzia.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello again Chintzia,

A negative HIV test outside the window period trumps "symptoms" each and every time. So when it comes to negative HIV tests versus your "belief," the negative tests win! A psychologist will help you accept the truly wonderful news that you are HIV negative. Whatever is causing your symptoms, one thing is absolutely certain: it's not HIV!

The only thing preventing you from WOO-HOO-ing is your irrational fear. See below.

Dr. Bob

Blessings from Ireland, and...

Previous
Risk from fresh blood to wound
Next
oral sex and gonorrhea

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.