Risk from fresh blood to wound

Hello dear doc Bob,how are you doing?i hope all is well.

I ve written to you in the past when i heard about your brother,i hope you will hopefully reply back to me cause i need your opinion to move on and decide what to do.

You know i admire you as a person and for everything you do to help all of us,also for the way you answer all the guestions.thank you for what you are doing.

something happened to me and i would like your knowledge for my risk and for what i need or not to do.also i have one friend that he has strong fears and anxiety for hiv transmission(i think he has nothing to worry but i promise him that i will ask you)so if you could give your opinion on this too.

What happened to me..i used a public toilet and because it looked dirty i picked up the toilet sheat with my foot.the toilet sheat was full of fresh blood!(propably from menstruation)and i had a fresh wound on this foot and i dont know for sure if some drops of blood came n contact with my foot and wound. i know that the virus is in high concetrations in blood.so i am worried! the blood was not dry.it was very fresh in liquid form. my wound was 10 hours old,it wasnt a very small wound maybe 2 or 3 cm.but it was still fresh,wet,red with no scab over!it wasnt bleeding at that time but wasnt healed completely. 1.I would like to ask you IF that fresh blood came in contact with my wound what is the risk? 2.if the blood was from the previous girl who used the toilet the virus will be inactivated within some seconds maxémum one minute?the virus will be unable to infect once outsibe the host/body or it has to be in a dry form to be inactive? 3.if the virus was still active is there a risk for transimmion from my wound?i mean could the virus enter the wound from the layers of the skin that were not completely healed?the risk is only if the wound is bleeding at that time or also when it is open,fresh but not bleeding?

The fears that my friend has. 1.can you get hiv from a dentist if he doesnt sterile the instrument that he use?the virus will be inactive in a minute or so?how likely this is? 2.can you get hiv from a blood test if the nurse doesnt wear gloves and have some blood in her hand while touching your vein before she put the needle? 3.if by mistake you prick your self in a needle that has been around some time without injecting anything can you get hiv?

Doc.Bob i hope to hear from you soon.thanks again.

regards E.

Hello E,

It's extremely unlikely the blood was either fresh or HIV-tainted. If there was fresh HIV-tainted blood coming into direct contact with non-intact skin (open wound), there would be a theoretical risk of HIV transmission.

HIV does not survive long outside the body. Exactly how long it survives depends on the ambient room temperature and humidity, the quantity of blood, the viral load and other factors.

See response to #1 above.

Friend's questions:

Dentists use universal precautions and sterilize all instruments. Your friend's fears are unwarranted.

No.

No.

You're welcome.

18 YEAR OLD; ATTEMPTED RAPED BY CLASSMATE. NEED HELP READING RESULTS
More tests (To be or Not to Be)